SOLVED! Alkalinity and Calcium potency inside a CaRx w/different pH's? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What pH set point to you aim for in your CaRx?

Votes: 5 4.6%

Votes: 3 2.8%

Votes: 9 8.3%

Votes: 23 21.3%

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 15 13.9%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 4 3.7%

Votes: 8 7.4%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Higher than 7.2

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Lower than 6.2

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Don't use one, but getting interested.

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!

Have you ever wondered what REALLY is happening when you change the pH set points on your Calcium Reactor??

Today, I set out to start answering some questions surrounding CaRx's and how they work, not only to make them easier for us to use, but also easier to understand just what is really going on inside of one!

Get your glasses on and pocket protectors out for this one, I've got a bunch of data coming at you in today's video where I set out to test exactly how the saturation of Alkalinity and Calcium change inside the reactor as you make changes to the pH set point. ;Bookworm

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to get hone to watch this [emoji106][emoji120]

Me Too! The nerve of some companies to not allow employees to watch youtube lol.

@randyBRS Your timing on this one couldn't be more perfect. I am going through the process of slowly lowering my pH to achieve a desired effluent dKH over the last few days!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me Too! The nerve of some companies to not allow employees to watch youtube lol.
@randyBRS Your timing on this one couldn't be more perfect. I am going through the process of slowly lowering my pH to achieve a desired effluent dKH over the last few days!

It's like we're reading your mind......... :p

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented with CaRX for 6 months but have up because my tank’s pH plummeted. I was reaching lows of 7,5 and highs of 7,8 even with the addition of kalk for the ATO, CO2 scrubber, and for a while even refugium running on opposite schedule.

I was using Carib Sea ARM Coarse and had to set the pH to 6,0 and still my effluent dKH would not go beyond 17. This meant running it at a constant stream and injecting tons of CO2... a total mess.

My tank is a 160g (net) and consumes about 1.5dKh daily.

Went back to two part and my pH is back to 7,8-8,2.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented with CaRX for 6 months but have up because my tank’s pH plummeted. I was reaching lows of 7,5 and highs of 7,8 even with the addition of kalk for the ATO, CO2 scrubber, and for a while even refugium running on opposite schedule.

I was using Carib Sea ARM Coarse and had to set the pH to 6,0 and still my effluent dKH would not go beyond 17. This meant running it at a constant stream and injecting tons of CO2... a total mess.

If I am reading the tea leaves on what we are learning here correctly, I think in the coming weeks a different approach will develop that is straight forward and super easy to implement. Maybe easier than two part.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That makes sense to me. What's weird is the ph in my Calcium reactor system is higher than my 2 part system. They are literally 1 foot away from eachother. The CaRX system is always .1 to .2 higher ph. Weird, but hopefully BRS testing will help us figure this out! I love my CaRX setup, but only been going a few months.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the investimigation @randyBRS! Will be interested to see the higher flow results! I know when I leave my bubble count and size alone and turn down the flow, the ph in the reactor drops dramatically. What the best way is to make adjustments on a new tech calcium reactor setup is always a topic of debate. Glad you all are digging in to this!

I almost think a constant flow and then adjusting the co2 would be the easiest way, which is why guys had success with maxijets and other "constant" pumps in the past. Then again, now with the kamoer and the carbondoser, maybe we should utilize all adjustments to find the perfect setup?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the investimigation @randyBRS! I almost think a constant flow and then adjusting the co2 would be the easiest way, which is why guys had success with maxijets and other "constant" pumps in the past. Then again, now with the kamoer and the carbondoser, maybe we should utilize all adjustments to find the perfect setup?

To me, just looking at the disparity between the max saturation at the various pH points leads me to believe that tuning the reactor by pH alone would be less finite and consequently slightly more difficult approach; whereas pegging the Rx at a known saturation and adjusting your "dose" (by flow rate) based on tank consumption seems more controllable. Sort of like 2-part dosing where we know the concentration of the solutions and we just increase or decrease the amount we add to the tank. (Granted, I'm the one sitting over here with the inside scoop on the next episode's data.... ;) )

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, just looking at the disparity between the max saturation at the various pH points leads me to believe that tuning the reactor by pH alone would be less finite and consequently slightly more difficult approach; whereas pegging the Rx at a known saturation and adjusting your "dose" (by flow rate) based on tank consumption seems more controllable. Sort of like 2-part dosing where we know the concentration of the solutions and we just increase or decrease the amount we add to the tank. (Granted, I'm the one sitting over here with the inside scoop on the next episode's data.... ;) )

Can't wait to see! I just know every time I adjust my water flow, the ph changes. As long as the ph is then set back to "optimal" value, then I agree adjusting the water flow is more accurate! Following!

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water, effluent rate, does effect alk/ca dosing from a fine tuning perspective. The ph changes makes the most difference. Getting the effluent alk to 2 to 3x desired alk using internal Rx ph is the best whilst setting effluent rate high enough to minimize sediment clogging. Then, fine tune with effluent rates. Nite: effluent rates effects rx ph significantly. I found the larger media takes lower rx ph to dissolve but, has more positive effects on overall tank ph. The video is good and exemplifies how lower ph dissolves media which increases alk to the tank. I’ve tried small media and have migrated to larger.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is to get the correct effluent alk to dose your tank without dissolving all you media too quickly. The lower rx ph and low effluent rates dissolves media the fastest due to recirculating within the rx. I run effluent rate at 80 ml/min. Setpoint is 6.3. Tank ph fluctuates between 8 and 8.3. I use caribsea xlsrge media in rx first stage and small media in second rx chamber.

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very timely video as i am in the process of tuning mine
Apex controls my ph which is set at on at >7.0; off <6.9.
The chamber is at pH 7.0
effluent flow rate is 34 mls/min.
I use Carib Sea ARM Coarse media.
The effluent pH is at 6.6 and the alk is >>20 dKH (saturated using Hannah checker)
My tank pH is just about 8.0 and the Alk is steady at 8.5-8.7 dKH.
I took the approach of tuning the reactor by setting the flow rate to a stream to prevent the effluent line from clogging then i adjusted the pH in the reactor to give me the selected tank Alk (8.5-9.0 dKH). This seems to worked for me.
I would like to get my tank pH a bit higher but will wait a while to see how is naturally levels out.
I am using a Geo reactor with a DIY 2nd chamber and the skimmer intake like is out to my storage room (its colder there).
will see how it goes.

Nice job Randy.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very timely video as i am in the process of tuning mine
Apex controls my ph which is set at on at >7.0; off <6.9.
The chamber is at pH 7.0
effluent flow rate is 34 mls/min.
I use Carib Sea ARM Coarse media.
The effluent pH is at 6.6 and the alk is >>20 dKH (saturated using Hannah checker)
My tank pH is just about 8.0 and the Alk is steady at 8.5-8.7 dKH.
I took the approach of tuning the reactor by setting the flow rate to a stream to prevent the effluent line from clogging then i adjusted the pH in the reactor to give me the selected tank Alk (8.5-9.0 dKH). This seems to worked for me.
I would like to get my tank pH a bit higher but will wait a while to see how is naturally levels out.
I am using a Geo reactor with a DIY 2nd chamber and the skimmer intake like is out to my storage room (its colder there).
will see how it goes.

Nice job Randy.
Use xcoarse next time and you tank ph will go up

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Geo 818 with Reborn/Remag, a Carbon Doser, a Kamoer FX-STP on the output, and a small Sicce .5 feed pump. CD is set to a little over 1 bubble per second. The ph in the chamber is 6.52-6.56. Kamoer is set to 72ml/min(never calibrated it - not sure if it really is 72, could be less). Alk in tank is 8.6-8.7. This calcium reactor setup is really awesome and with the additions of the Kamoer and the Carbon Doser is so much more appealing to me than dosing. Of course, I have 20 new 5 gallon buckets of BRS 3 part in my garage I won’t be using anytime soon. LOL.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see! I just know every time I adjust my water flow, the ph changes. As long as the ph is then set back to "optimal" value, then I agree adjusting the water flow is more accurate! Following!

I used a solenoid and the Profilux P4 to keep the pH stable inside the reactor. If i increase the flow it would simply open the solenoid a bit longer to maintain the desired pH setpoint.

If you also have the KH Director than you can adjust the CaRX pH based on the measured dKh of your tank, witch is next level stuff! It would theoretically increase the pH at night (given lower alk consumption) and increase during the day, not only stabilizing Alk but also pH in your aquarium.

I do not have the KH Director so never tried it but the concept is brilliant.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers!

Have you ever wondered what REALLY is happening when you change the pH set points on your Calcium Reactor??

Today, I set out to start answering some questions surrounding CaRx's and how they work, not only to make them easier for us to use, but also easier to understand just what is really going on inside of one!

Get your glasses on and pocket protectors out for this one, I've got a bunch of data coming at you in today's video where I set out to test exactly how the saturation of Alkalinity and Calcium change inside the reactor as you make changes to the pH set point. ;Bookworm

Randy, I use a ph probe and control my co2 supply with an Apex controller. My ph swings inside my carx. How did you adjust to get a constant ph inside your carx for this experiment? Also, interested to see the effects when you introduce more tank water, by increasing effluent flow, on the ph inside the reactor and the adjustments required to maintain constant carx ph.

Back