Some dinos

ReapersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is still maturing as it's only a couple months old, however the rock pictured has a pretty decent dino break out, but it's only that rock, nothing else seems affected, is this something I should act now and black out, or since it's only on one rock, do I have a chance good bacteria will soon outcompete it? Nitrate 2.5ppm (Hanna checker) phosphate .2 ppm (Hanna checker) calcium 461(Hanna checker and yes I'm aware it's somehow a lil high) alk 8.2 dkh (Hanna) I don't think parameters are the problem, but if you do please help with suggestions, I have a protein skimmer running as is

IMG_20210602_111830.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will get into the water column at night. If its on the rock its everywhere. I would keep the rock in, hence, but would likely want the nitrates a bit higher 5-10 to outcompete them. I also find the UV sterilizer helps. if you are concerned re toxins for your inverts, you may want to add activated carbon.

OP
OP
ReapersReef

ReapersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos will get into the water column at night. If its on the rock its everywhere. I would keep the rock in, hence, but would likely want the nitrates a bit higher 5-10 to outcompete them. I also find the UV sterilizer helps. if you are concerned re toxins for your inverts, you may want to add activated carbon.
Can I just get a bag of activated carbon and shove it in the sump where the foam is? Or would I need a whole reactor? (I'm sorry I'm still pretty new to salt and this is my first tank with a sump)

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be sorry. We all learn by being here. And Dino’s are a variety of different species with different solutions. And as so many opinions. Hence a mile long threat. Some Dino’s produce toxins. It should not affect you as for the time being you do not have enough of them. But if toxins are an issue, your snails die first. And yes you can just shove carbon under the return . In my humble opinion, you are not able to eradicate Dino’s. you control them by feeding the stuff that outcompetes them. Phosphate and nitrate or heavy feeding or taking the cup of the skimmer. And personally I run my tanks with UV, after a tank crash due to Dino’s. They come as stand alone (eg green killing machine) or devices that need to be plumbed in. First one is cheaper, easier and a good start.

OP
OP
ReapersReef

ReapersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be sorry. We all learn by being here. And Dino’s are a variety of different species with different solutions. And as so many opinions. Hence a mile long threat. Some Dino’s produce toxins. It should not affect you as for the time being you do not have enough of them. But if toxins are an issue, your snails die first. And yes you can just shove carbon under the return . In my humble opinion, you are not able to eradicate Dino’s. you control them by feeding the stuff that outcompetes them. Phosphate and nitrate or heavy feeding or taking the cup of the skimmer. And personally I run my tanks with UV, after a tank crash due to Dino’s. They come as stand alone (eg green killing machine) or devices that need to be plumbed in. First one is cheaper, easier and a good start.
Will turning he skimmer off have the same effect as removing the cup? Would dosing something like ab+ or phyto plankton help outcompete the dinos or would it feed them?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the cup, the skimmer over floats, and continues to increase oxygenation. So that would be preferred. Photo has been tried before as well as bacterial dosing, as well as H2O2 and vibrant.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Microbacter 7 every 2-3 days (10ml) wiped out my Dinos completely. I now dose MB7 twice a week.
Switched out my filter floss every morning for a week or two- every day I based the rocks and sand to kick them up and into my filter media - turned of all red, green, whites for two weeks. Never turned off my skimmer. Added turbo snails, seeded tank twice with 5280/Eco Pods, plus daily dosing of Phyto.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back