Some fish die in new aquarium

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of spots/ excess mucus on skin/ skin peeling/ fish flashing on rocks ?

I'm no fish diesese expert but just trying get information out of you for the experts to read and help

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of spots/ excess mucus on skin/ skin peeling/ fish flashing on rocks ?

I'm no fish diesese expert but just trying get information out of you for the experts to read and help
No nothing on the rocks... The only thing that I had noticed on the gramma was that its tail was a bit bitten and the hole that the shrimp had dug on its head later...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtfully something leaching out your rocks and killing your fish so quick but maybe a full tank picture will help and show others the type of the rocks you using . @Jay Hemdal is resident expert
1642185575561.jpg

1642185575559.jpg

1642185718456.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white algae like slug you see on the second picture I am pretty sure that it's either coming from the rocks or the sand..

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing that helps in troubleshooting, to keep isolating causatives is eliminate any concern over the cycle, if there is some its manufactured here's why:

-no cycle chart exists for taking longer than 30 days

no ammonia line on any cycle chart takes past 12 days.

you added a known source of ammonia oxidizing bacteria, feed, and has completed the # of days on all cycling charts.

-not one seneye post in history on a benchmarked, calibrated meter shows a cycle taking any longer than a few days to stabilize after dosing, you're at 30.

for cycling to have any play here, we have to be able to find pattern threads to the opposite of above, but we can't. on any forum.

so in the params we test in reefing, this has to be non cycle params if any causing the issue

calcium and magnesium and alk aren't a concern in fish loss posts.

that's a bright open tank, not an oxygen issue

see how it narrows and narrows down to: fallow and quarantine.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the updated pic showing the blood shrimp and other added animals

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the updated pic showing the blood shrimp and other added animals
I just took this pic.. The blood shrimp is hiding and eating at the back left corner of the rock and the new goby is hiding under the first rock digging holes that's these sand fluctuations you see at the front of the sand bed it did not yet have the courage to come out yet.. The other goby is very small and at this moment was hiding under the first piece of live rock you see.. It is currently night time over here and I left home.. I could send a picture of the shrimp and the black clown goby tomorrow morning...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus I noticed it’s a high surface area tank, with strong dilution for any wastes produced. No accumulations in the bed or corners of the tank to rule out rotting or irritants

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see the one powerhead, placed low in the tank. I dont see a skimmer. The water surface looks still. It might be just the picture, but the tank looks tall

if any of these are right, then maybe lack of oxygen might be the problem.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see the one powerhead, placed low in the tank. I dont see a skimmer. The water surface looks still. It might be just the picture, but the tank looks tall

The black back of the tank is plexi glass.. Behind it there's a sump with all the equipment

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can barely see the skimmer at the top left corner

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neat pattern: outside the disease forum, ten or so params are listed as potential causatives even with untreated fish present, and disease arrival is always last place and then even at that, rarely accepted by 100% of the umpires. a small holdout will never consider disease at all

inside the fish disease forum, a very select few parameters are assessed/is the tank cycled yes no and do other animals live while only fish die/yes vs no and then disease is the step we stop at, until its eliminated.

after fallow and quarantine is when the final eight distant params will be considered in loss prevention. that's a handy pattern we see between troubleshoots relative to the forum they're posted in.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back