Some help with a possible ID?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little mantis came in an order of rock today that I got from @Gulf Live Rock

Not sure what type it is and the pics aren't the best (sorry! Trying not to disturb him in the breeder box I stuck him in).

20211221_123252.jpg 20211221_123249.jpg 20211221_123244.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is red as the picture seems to indicate rather than boring brown, then he might be worth a keep in his own tank. There's some called 'red lined' in google searches that might be it, but I don't know if that's a type or just a description.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is red as the picture seems to indicate rather than boring brown, then he might be worth a keep in his own tank. There's some called 'red lined' in google searches that might be it, but I don't know if that's a type or just a description.

Got this late last night, clearer than the other pics but it doesn't pop as much as when it was getting the cast off from the reef Brite strips.

Attachments

• 20211221_225205.jpg
    20211221_225205.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 76

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's also just a baby now. Looks to be the size of half my thumb maybe haha.

Probably after a couple months he'll be a bit easier to ID if you don't get one. I hope he colors up beautifully!

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's also just a baby now. Looks to be the size of half my thumb maybe haha.

Probably after a couple months he'll be a bit easier to ID if you don't get one. I hope he colors up beautifully!
Yeah, relatively small. If I had to guess maybe 1.5-2" long from tip to tip.

Thinking I may need to sacrifice a hermit as it shows no interest in any frozen meaty foods. Don't want the little thing to starve.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, relatively small. If I had to guess maybe 1.5-2" long from tip to tip.

Thinking I may need to sacrifice a hermit as it shows no interest in any frozen meaty foods. Don't want the little thing to starve.
Yeah no advice on raising but I’m sure you can find some here somewhere

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try thawed mysis? When they’re that tiny, they won’t go after much especially things bigger than them and he’s probably catching pods too since they’re a lot tinier than him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
carribean red mantis and mysis is not going to cut it. By small snails such as cerith, nerite or astrea to get it started and feed whole krill thereafter

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try thawed mysis? When they’re that tiny, they won’t go after much especially things bigger than them and he’s probably catching pods too since they’re a lot tinier than him

I haven't tried mysis yet. He got some thawed LRS, didn't have any interest in it. He's eaten a hermit and a couple baby snails so far. I've got some frozen clams on the half shell for a puffer I have that I plan to try as well.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carribean red mantis and mysis is not going to cut it. By small snails such as cerith, nerite or astrea to get it started and feed whole krill thereafter
Why won’t mysis cut it when he’s that tiny? Once it’s like 3 inches then yeah he will need more/bigger food. And by Caribbean red, do you happen to know what species? I’m curious to find out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why won’t mysis cut it when he’s that tiny? Once it’s like 3 inches then yeah he will need more/bigger food. And by Caribbean red, do you happen to know what species? I’m curious to find out
They generally dont go after small soft foods like brine or mysis shrimp. They can take snails and break the shell even when that smmall and eat the meat. Its in their instinct to hunt persay and dismember their food source. Small to adult, they consume small fish, hard-shelled creatures such as crabs, clam snails and other inverts

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will greedily grab anything I give them :rolleyes: haha I love how they grab a lot and hold onto it! My full size smithii will usually grab like 3-4 jumbo mysis from my tongs lol

Back