Some kind of mushroom coral or aiptasia?

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on a rock from KP Aquatics in FL. About a year after the rock was in my tank I noticed what looked like a small feather duster. This is now about six months later. As you can see it has really grown. I don't think this is bad like aiptasia anemone or something but I need to be reassured. I notice there are two more very small ones on different rocks now but I am not sure they are the same color but they do have similar type feelers that go out (I think). They also don't seem as similar as this one did when it was small. Anyway, I would really appreciate an ID on this from some of you experts. KP people say they don't have aiptasia on their rocks and it took a year for me to even notice it so it is hard to believe this is what it is. Also it doesn't look like the aiptasia pictures I have seen but it might be a relative I guess. There is an orange acan coral in front of it. By the way I was happy with their rocks. Thanks in advance for comments.

Coral ID.jpg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that picture, I agree that it looks like a curlicue anemone.
My rocks from Gulf Live Rock came in with 3 types of anemones, none of which do I think are actually aiptasia.
I suspect mine are banded anemones and light bulb anemones as identified in a Gulf invertebrates book.

OP
OP
T

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on a rock from KP Aquatics in FL. About a year after the rock was in my tank I noticed what looked like a small feather duster. This is now about six months later. As you can see it has really grown. I don't think this is bad like aiptasia anemone or something but I need to be reassured. I notice there are two more very small ones on different rocks now but I am not sure they are the same color but they do have similar type feelers that go out (I think). They also don't seem as similar as this one did when it was small. Anyway, I would really appreciate an ID on this from some of you experts. KP people say they don't have aiptasia on their rocks and it took a year for me to even notice it so it is hard to believe this is what it is. Also it doesn't look like the aiptasia pictures I have seen but it might be a relative I guess. There is an orange acan coral in front of it. By the way I was happy with their rocks. Thanks in advance for comments.

Coral ID.jpg
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I feel much better now.

OP
OP
T

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral ID.jpg
I notice that KP Aquatics actually sells them: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/curlique-anemone/
Thanks for the ID

Back