!!!!SOME NEW, SOME LONG OVERDUE, TEDIUM TO A FAULT!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do tend to send a lot of "unreleased" stuff out in Battleboxes and by "unreleased" I really just mean pieces that I still need to shoot. As opposed to pieces I just acquired. Huge difference in fact. And I know that the first thing many people who get boxes with pieces they don't recognize immediately do is to go to my site and search for said pieces, more often than not disappointed by not finding their new piece anywhere on the site. I know this because I can actually see what people search for. This is a double-edged sword though and here's why. As a lot of these "unreleased" are still in various stages of development here and will inevitably end up with a great pic and on the site but ultimately I haven't really made up my mind on them as far as final names and prices go. So there's always a chance you'll end up with something like a Lasermelon or Supernova or just something super cool in your box before it really becomes part of the definitive collection.

Believe me when I say I have a literal trove of gems in this kind of limbo, soon-to-be-shot state. In fact, I may honestly have more viable pieces not on the site right now than are on it... Well maybe not quite now that I think about it, but there's a lot of them. And I think this may be one of the reasons my boxes have been such a hit with people. The thrill of getting something first or at least before the masses officially have access to it. But I also very much understand the frustration of getting something and finding literally no reference for it anywhere. I've been mulling around adding another option to the boxes page to include only pieces listed on the site aimed at people who would prefer to have a solid reference to what they got, or are getting. Maybe we can discuss this further as well. I'm all ears. Either way, I am positive that most people would rather see what they got in their box up on my site, complete with a decent colony shot and any other specifics I can relay. And to you I say. "I am working on it I swear!"

I've come to realize that I have probably overcomplicated my photo-taking process and that is only because I tend to be a little anal when it comes to how I represent my coral on the site. Pics have to be "site worthy". I've shot a lot of stuff that just wasn't quite up to the standard for whatever reason mostly I just couldn't get a good enough pic. And the piece remains in the limbo zone, unfortunately.

I have been starting to get some of these pieces up on my Instagram however so if you're looking for a piece you got that's not on the site you may find a reference on IG at least, likely a "just ok" Phone pic or vid.

Anyway, before this gets toooooooo wordy, I know on mobiles these short write-ups seem super long. If you're still with me, I did get the camera out this week and I think I refined my process a little as well, so I am looking forward to getting more of these "unknowns" shot soon.

Here are a few pieces some have already and will recognize and some will not. But I got a few decent "site worthy" pics early in the week and on the site, they went. With more to come!

BC Wonder Woman Table

IMG_1637-2.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

Peek-O-Train

IMG_1645-3.jpg

IMG_1645-4.jpg

Lingonberry Vinegar re-shoot

IMG_1651-4.jpg

IMG_1651-6.jpg

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I just mentioned this on the box I got yesterday. I looked up Quizzler online and found absolutely nothing. I have mixed feelings about it, I do like seeing them on the site, but there is also some feeling of exclusiveness when you get a coral that you can't find anywhere else online.

Ultimately I'd still probably pick to get corals whether on the site or not.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha I just mentioned this on the box I got yesterday. I looked up Quizzler online and found absolutely nothing. I have mixed feelings about it, I do like seeing them on the site, but there is also some feeling of exclusiveness when you get a coral that you can't find anywhere else online.

Ultimately I'd still probably pick to get corals whether on the site or not.
Exactly! And I hear you man I really do! All I can offer you is the promise that they will be up there eventually.

Another quirk I've run into that's been a sort of setback is that the water is too shallow to get an in-focus shot in my halide tank where most of my better-looking specimens are growing out for sure. I mean an inch or so from the surface in most cases. I don't frag out of there nearly as often and they tend to fill out and just look better, especially in regards to taking pics.

I've tried to shoot lots of them to no avail, so I'm stuck holding out for pieces mounted on tiles to grow out enough so I can get them in the pic tank for any semblance of a decent pic. Again circling back to my first post, My process is probably too complicated as it is and could still use some streamlining in hopes to get better pics more efficiently.

And thanks for the feedback. If I am reading you right, for a "Battlebox" if you had the option to choose to include only corals that are listed on the site or a mix of stuff that is and is not yet, you'd prefer the first option?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think most new customers would choose the "listed on site" option whereas many repeat customers will be more trusting of your off menu selections.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks for the feedback. If I am reading you right, for a "Battlebox" if you had the option to choose to include only corals that are listed on the site or a mix of stuff that is and is not yet, you'd prefer the first option?
Honestly I'm on the fence about it, but I'd probably still choose to get any coral even if it is not on the website (the second option). I can see why having the choice is a good idea though.

Actually if I remember correctly on another sales thread a while back there were some people who thought that was the difference with the "Names" option that you choose while ordering a BattleBox.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think most new customers would choose the "listed on site" option whereas many repeat customers will be more trusting of your off menu selections.
That would make sense to me as well.

There is a trust that is needed with giving money to a coral vendor and just letting them pick what you get, and I think new customers being able to see the "value" of everything they recieved would help.

I honestly couldn't imagine doing it with any other vendor. The thing that made it easier with Adam with my first order was his stellar online reputation.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That would make sense to me as well.

There is a trust that is needed with giving money to a coral vendor and just letting them pick what you get, and I think new customers being able to see the "value" of everything they recieved would help.

I honestly couldn't imagine doing it with any other vendor. The thing that made it easier with Adam with my first order was his stellar online reputation.
I very much appreciate the vote of confidence! Means a lot really. Something to consider, however, there were a few lucky people who got Fairy Food frags before it had a fancy name and a good site pic ;)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much appreciate the vote of confidence! Means a lot really. Something to consider, however, there were a few lucky people who got Fairy Food frags before it had a fancy name and a good site pic ;)
Well now I hope Quizzler is the next insanely expensive coral on your site. LOL.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
honestly ask myself so many times how you come up with some names. i love it.
Ha. thanks! I'd say 9 out of 10 just kind of pop into my head at random times. If I'm able to write them down so I don't forget, they'll get added to the long-running list I have going. lol. Truth is I don't really put all that much thought into it though.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I think an option for site only would be good for new customers, however I knew of your stuff from reef central and If I get a chance to order another BattleBox (my tank is getting full for me), I think, if possible, a box of only non-website ones would be pretty epic too. Like an option of website only, mix it up, or complete surprise

Im still trying to figure out if the Acroberry I got is the same as the one on the website or a different one since the full name wasn’t on there

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a mystery box of unreleased gems. You just pay a certain amout and coral shows up at your door

L3leedingstar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feel like those asking for names (myself included) are absolutely going to search to 'see' what they got, that's the best part! It also helps me with placement to see the color/growth pattern.

Would I be upset or frustrated if I couldn't find a piece listed on the site? Absolutely not, I think it adds to the surprise element...longer term. But I can understand how someone who wanted a named coral would associate that with being pictured on the website.

I can see this 'unreleased gems' option being awesome. Often I want my box to be a complete surprise, but at the same time I don't have much space; so I find myself obsessively looking through the website for must haves. Throw a couple 'I see potential, the camera doesn't, we may have struck gold' pieces in there... Sounds like my perfect box!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You should do a mystery box of unreleased gems. You just pay a certain amout and coral shows up at your door
So I feel like those asking for names (myself included) are absolutely going to search to 'see' what they got, that's the best part! It also helps me with placement to see the color/growth pattern.

Would I be upset or frustrated if I couldn't find a piece listed on the site? Absolutely not, I think it adds to the surprise element...longer term. But I can understand how someone who wanted a named coral would associate that with being pictured on the website.

I can see this 'unreleased gems' option being awesome. Often I want my box to be a complete surprise, but at the same time I don't have much space; so I find myself obsessively looking through the website for must haves. Throw a couple 'I see potential, the camera doesn't, we may have struck gold' pieces in there... Sounds like my perfect box!
I have done a lot unreleased pieces only boxes actually by request. Really just a simple preference request for any size battlebox:)

reefrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I search the hell out of every piece.. I like getting an idea of what it will look like full sized, but also I like the photos to check if Ive colored things to their potential. It’s also helpful when selling/trading frags. However I would never select on the site only as an option. I love getting something (like my Gilded Lily), loving it and then getting the treat if seeing it unveiled to the masses!

Though I’ll add, I’m dying to see colony shots of:
GO Eden
Pig Champion
Bombay Sunset
Passive Passion

Keep spinning your magic Adam!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I search the hell out of every piece.. I like getting an idea of what it will look like full sized, but also I like the photos to check if Ive colored things to their potential. It’s also helpful when selling/trading frags. However I would never select on the site only as an option. I love getting something (like my Gilded Lily), loving it and then getting the treat if seeing it unveiled to the masses!

Though I’ll add, I’m dying to see colony shots of:
GO Eden
Pig Champion
Bombay Sunset
Passive Passion

Keep spinning your magic Adam!

Ah ha! Ok. well, I'm glad you posted! This is a good example of what I am talking about. Here's a coral I did shoot a few months ago but just wasn't really happy enough with the pic to post it on the site.

Polyps look great but overall I think it looks kind of weird, and ultimately I want it to grow out more. But here's the "limbo" version of the GO Eden for you. I'll get working on the others I swear.

IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1448-2.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back