Some photos from my tanks

EmreCev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

This is my first post in the forum, I've been keeping saltwater tanks for the last six months and by now I've found it quite a rewarding task. My other hobby is amateur photography and it goes quite well with fishkeeping:)

I have two SW tanks and a total of 4 fish (2 in each tank). Also have 14 FW tanks and don't know how many fish:)

So here are the photos of all my SW fish:

DSC_5827.jpg

DSC_5821.jpg

DSC_5749.jpg

DSC_5728-Recovered.png

DSC_5360.jpg

DSC_5355.jpg

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Very nice . Beautiful fish , what kind of lens and setting for the camera . Get rid of blue light perfectly !!!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Camera settings and lens used please? The detail, especially on the damsel images is impressive. Do you upload here or link from a gallery? It may be me but when I upload it seems like a lot of detail is lost

I just received my body and macro lens yesterday. I was a pretty serious amatuer photographer but got out of the hobby over 10 years ago. Wow have things changed. Full frame body at a consumer prices, heck ya. I went with a Sony A7 II and a Sigma 105 macro lens. Still learning the controls on the body but I'm looking forward to merging the two hobbies.

PS welcome aboard!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EmreCev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Camera settings and lens used please? The detail, especially on the damsel images is impressive. Do you upload here or link from a gallery? It may be me but when I upload it seems like a lot of detail is lost

I just received my body and macro lens yesterday. I was a pretty serious amatuer photographer but got out of the hobby over 10 years ago. Wow have things changed. Full frame body at a consumer prices, heck ya. I went with a Sony A7 II and a Sigma 105 macro lens. Still learning the controls on the body but I'm looking forward to merging the two hobbies.

PS welcome aboard!
Thanks for the kind welcome. Good news is your camera setup is similar to mine:)

I have a Nikon D750 with a really old Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro.

I take all my aquarium photos with a flash, currently using Nikon SB 700. Use it off body, (camera flash in "commander" mode, flash unit in "remote" mode) on top of aquarium, it virtually cancels out the blue light. (because it's much stronger) Also gives the background that nice black or dark effect.

I set the aperture in f14 or more to fit the entire fish into the sharp part of the depth of field. I always, take my photos in "A" (aperture priority) mode. I think it gives the best chance to control the DoF.

Also I use Photoshop to do crop and minor corrections.

Another trick I use is, taking a million crappy photos and showing only the good ones in the internet:)

OP
OP
E

EmreCev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I just uploaded here, no gallery.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another trick I use is, taking a million crappy photos and showing only the good ones in the internet:)
Nice!
I'm in the lazy camp -- iPhone with cheapie clip-on filter,,, one or two shots and live with it,,, but I guess that explains why my pictures suck.

Great photos (as others have stated),,, keep up the good work...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind welcome. Good news is your camera setup is similar to mine:)

I have a Nikon D750 with a really old Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro.

I take all my aquarium photos with a flash, currently using Nikon SB 700. Use it off body, (camera flash in "commander" mode, flash unit in "remote" mode) on top of aquarium, it virtually cancels out the blue light. (because it's much stronger) Also gives the background that nice black or dark effect.

I set the aperture in f14 or more to fit the entire fish into the sharp part of the depth of field. I always, take my photos in "A" (aperture priority) mode. I think it gives the best chance to control the DoF.

Also I use Photoshop to do crop and minor corrections.

Great info thanks. I don't have a flash yet but was shopping for one last night. Sounds like it is a better method than messing around with WB in camera or post as your images confirm. I found an old copy of lightroom cc from 2014 on my pc that I forgot I had. The A7 II is just old enough that my copy of lightroom will support the RAW files so saving some money there. I used to shoot quite a few family portraits and like to shoot RAW/jpeg for important stuff. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your world. Its ussualy a little quite here in the photography section.

I tend to spray and pray sometimes too. It's an advantage of digital over film for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back