Some Red Algae on my rock *Pic*

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some red algae on my rock could be possible cyano it has small bubbles on top of it. I did a WC yesterday and added 5ml of Vibrant. I do have some nitrates issues with just a little phosphates. I was thinking of starting to dose NOPOX and see how it goes.

f8f8888b1c7d439d01f20eea424ef0aa.jpg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to agree. Cyano is an actual bacteria as apposed to algae and will be feeding off the nutrients in your tanks.

Unfortunately there's no silver bullet to solving it and it's something most aquariums go through at some stage. Usually after 4 months for me in my experiences and can linger around for a while.

You're going to have to start with lowering your nutrients.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s cyano, it’s a bacteria. Carbin dosing like with vodka vinegar or nopox feeds bacterias. A little extra cyano when beginning organic carbon dosing is a common side effect at first.

Vibrant also contains an organism carbon doing component.
It also kills alge.
The combination of the organic carbon and the dying algae are a common complaint with those who use Vibrant.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s cyano, it’s a bacteria. Carbin dosing like with vodka vinegar or nopox feeds bacterias. A little extra cyano when beginning organic carbon dosing is a common side effect at first.

Vibrant also contains an organism carbon doing component.
It also kills alge.
The combination of the organic carbon and the dying algae are a common complaint with those who use Vibrant.

What’s the best way to cure this? If NOPOX reduces nitrates and phosphates but in turn it fuels cyano outbreak?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. High n/p are only one contributor to cyano.
Low ph dissolved organics and carbon sources also feed it.

I’d look at the flow in that spot to make sure Its not got stuff settling there, look at you’re foods and reduce any aminos vitamin c etc. LRS btw , I have to use sparingly.

I always reccomend blowning it off as it reduces the population , it also may free up what ever may have piled up underneath the mass.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And slow slow addition to begin carbin dosing if you go that route.

And I wouldn’t mix nopox with vibrant

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. High n/p are only one contributor to cyano.
Low ph dissolved organics and carbon sources also feed it.

I’d look at the flow in that spot to make sure Its not got stuff settling there, look at you’re foods and reduce any aminos vitamin c etc. LRS btw , I have to use sparingly.

I always reccomend blowning it off as it reduces the population , it also may free up what ever may have piled up underneath the mass.

Don’t really think flow is a concern it’s a BB system and flow is pretty strong. I will invest in a Gyre soon. Tank is 60G 48x24x12. I will reduce on aminos, frozen. Do you like the NOPOX product? I think I over fed frozen LRS, brine, reef roids and aminos which is a culprit. I don’t run filter socks only skimmer and GFO Reactor. I use FRITZ SALT and do a 5G water change once per week. Salinity is at 1.026 and all other parameters are good. Just high nitrates

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, flow can’t be measured from spot to spot with the name of a pump.
If you turkey baste the tank and blow up a lot of detritus , you can watch the dust swirling and “see” the flow.
I’m my small tank, I kept getting cyano in one small spot , I had though was high flow. But it actually was the bottom of where it hit the glass and was dropping food as dust there.
Um solution actually was to put coral there. A lepto and some shrooms. Seems to like it. And no cyano.

I’m cheap. I’d go with vinegar. There’s no instructions for dosing in the bottle , but....

I’d honesty start with basic cleaning , let the vibrant cycle out , as well as the foods and such and go from there. I always go slow.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, flow can’t be measured from spot to spot with the name of a pump.
If you turkey baste the tank and blow up a lot of detritus , you can watch the dust swirling and “see” the flow.
I’m my small tank, I kept getting cyano in one small spot , I had though was high flow. But it actually was the bottom of where it hit the glass and was dropping food as dust there.
Um solution actually was to put coral there. A lepto and some shrooms. Seems to like it. And no cyano.

I’m cheap. I’d go with vinegar. There’s no instructions for dosing in the bottle , but....

I’d honesty start with basic cleaning , let the vibrant cycle out , as well as the foods and such and go from there. I always go slow.

noob question but what’s the benefit with vinegar? Yea I will stop with Vibrant and frozen foods...I do feed the tank once a day on a auto Feeder with Hikari pellets

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed healthy, I personally don’t stop foods entirely. Just reduce or rotate.

Vinegar is cheaper and a more natural compound.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a strainer to help cut down on the nutrients.

I use an intermediate approach. I add refrigerated, frozen and pellet foods to a small amount of tank water, stir, let settle for 10 minutes or so, and decant off the supernatant fluid to remove unidentified soluble components. Then I will sometimes (not always) add back some Oyster Feast, Reef Roids, rotifers, etc, for coral nutrition. Dilute this back to volume with fresh warm tank water, and feed with Julian's Thing.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting on with this?

In the last week I have experienced some uglies as well. This isn't the first time for me, but it's the first real time I have had a problem since setting up this particular tank up.

I have been intensively feeding my coral, anemones and fish lately and it appears that I have experienced a dinoflagellates outbreak.

I first noticed this on Saturday a day after a water change and it got progressively worse by Tuesday. By Wednesday I had seen enough and took immediate action first thing in the morning.

Basically I have heard conflicting information on dealing with this nuisance brown slime. Some say do water changes, some say don't, so I decided to do a water change and siphon out the crud.

Rightly or wrongly I am attributing this issue to a lack of biodiversity within my aquarium and too many nutrients in the water column.

Besides physically removing the dinoflagellates, I have slashed the feeding, despite giving in a bit today. Raised my PH and added 5ml of Microbacter7 in each day and leave the skimmer off for 4 hours whilst it settles.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of how crummy it looked on the sand bed and it's still only Thursday, so will see how it goes over the next couple of days.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting on with this?

In the last week I have experienced some uglies as well. This isn't the first time for me, but it's the first real time I have had a problem since setting up this particular tank up.

I have been intensively feeding my coral, anemones and fish lately and it appears that I have experienced a dinoflagellates outbreak.

I first noticed this on Saturday a day after a water change and it got progressively worse by Tuesday. By Wednesday I had seen enough and took immediate action first thing in the morning.

Basically I have heard conflicting information on dealing with this nuisance brown slime. Some say do water changes, some say don't, so I decided to do a water change and siphon out the crud.

Rightly or wrongly I am attributing this issue to a lack of biodiversity within my aquarium and too many nutrients in the water column.

Besides physically removing the dinoflagellates, I have slashed the feeding, despite giving in a bit today. Raised my PH and added 5ml of Microbacter7 in each day and leave the skimmer off for 4 hours whilst it settles.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of how crummy it looked on the sand bed and it's still only Thursday, so will see how it goes over the next couple of days.
I would stop feeding the corals so hard.

It feeds everything. It doesn’t sound like a nutrient limitation or diversity issue.

Back