Some Simple Tips for Keeping Zoanthids Happy, Healthy, and Growing Fast

garcia64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would running just blues in my tank help Zoas grow and color up more, I have an AI prime on my tank and blues are at 100%, Whites,Reds and Greens between 8-15 through out the day and Violet and UV at 30%. Would going to a blue only tank affect the LPS (mostly acans and Euphilia) in my tank

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would running just blues in my tank help Zoas grow and color up more, I have an AI prime on my tank and blues are at 100%, Whites,Reds and Greens between 8-15 through out the day and Violet and UV at 30%. Would going to a blue only tank affect the LPS (mostly acans and Euphilia) in my tank

I use all Blue Lighting for All of My Corals not just Zoanthids and Acans and they hold their Color Better.

Not to Mention they Look Much Much Better :)

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, What type of growth have you been getting?

It Varies by Tank.

I get much better growth out of T5 than LED.

But I also get better growth with Tanks with more Flow too.

I made a Ton of 2 Polyp Frags for a Frag Swap Two Months before the Show.

In my LED Tanks the 2 Polyps went to 3 Polyps.

But in one of my T5 Tanks (The one with the Most Flow) those same 2 Polyp Frags went to 6 to 8 Polyps in 2 Months and Needed to be Refragged!

jkopfishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine got zoa eating nudi's from a large zoa colony at a frag swap. I was looking at it and saw the nudi's. So i saved a bunch for an experiment. when I got home I put them in a little cup with a water/bayer solution and a little cup with a water/coral RX solution. 2 days later all the nudi's were still alive. I also tried it with seachem coral dip after about 15 -20 minutes the nudies were dead. Just my little experiment results

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose your results for Bayer dips will always vary since Bayer doesn't suggest to use its product as a dip. So there isn't a set dosage to begin with. I tend to dump enough in so I can't see the frag in the water. Never had issues at what ever strength that is, but zoa nudi are strong and ime Bayer won't get them all.

Coral rx is useless and i think everyone that's ever tried to use it to kill a pest will attest to that.

Lugols work well but you might kill the coral too.

Flatworm exit works the best for zoa nudi for me. And no harm to the coral.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose your results for Bayer dips will always vary since Bayer doesn't suggest to use its product as a dip. So there isn't a set dosage to begin with. I tend to dump enough in so I can't see the frag in the water. Never had issues at what ever strength that is, but zoa nudi are strong and ime Bayer won't get them all.

Coral rx is useless and i think everyone that's ever tried to use it to kill a pest will attest to that.

Lugols work well but you might kill the coral too.

Flatworm exit works the best for zoa nudi for me. And no harm to the coral.

I recommend using a Power Head as Well as a Turkey Baster to Knock Off any Pests.

I am very very Aggressive with that.

Remember to Look for Eggs as Dips will not Kill the Eggs.

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are Welcome. :)

No, I Do Not Use Carbon.

Remember Carbon Takes out Good Things as Well as Bad Things so your Corals get Less Nutrients when you use Carbon.

I used Carbon for 5 Years and I got no Growth at all in Most All My Corals.

So I stopped Using Carbon and Boom Corals were Growing :)

I Take a Natural Approach and Do Not Believe in Carbon.

This.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back