Some sort of hitchhiker eating at base of Duncan coral

Lruta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first marine aquarium. This Duncan is one of my first few coral and I noticed that after my lights were off and the coral closed up there was something about 2-3mm in diameter in between two heads that was not there upon inspection before putting it into my tank. When I got it all the flesh at the base looked fine and healthy. I did not dip this coral like I should have because I do not own any yet. The coral has been in my tank for 1 week.

If someone could identify this and confirm wether or not it is a problem that would be great. I will attach the best video I got of it. In my opinion it looks as if it is eating around the hole it came out of. Also note there is another one that is around the other side that I can’t get a good video of.
337F543C-D43E-4065-892A-4EB87FE9A785.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Of course im now at work and relying on phone screen. I believe I see a nudibranch as I cannot open video . If im correct.... pick that nudibranch off or remove coral and dip at least the base of it.
If you don’t have dip, hydrogen peroxide may work for now. Nudibranch are known to leave eggs, so multiple dips may be warranted

OP
OP
L

Lruta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course im now at work and relying on phone screen. I believe I see a nudibranch as I cannot open video . If im correct.... pick that nudibranch off or remove coral and dip at least the base of it.
If you don’t have dip, hydrogen peroxide may work for now. Nudibranch are known to leave eggs, so multiple dips may be warranted

Were you able to open the video? I cannot once I posted it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandibles on that thing remind me of a bobbit worm...o_O
@KJ

OP
OP
L

Lruta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to dip the coral later on tonight. I have seen what montipora eating nudibranchs looks like and this doesn't seem to be anything like it. With that said though that is the only form of nudi I have every seem in person. like someone mentioned earlier this thing has mandibles and it does go in and out of the hole it is in when I flash light onto it. Can I expect it to just flush out of the coral when dippin if it is a worm? If not will I have to pluck it out?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At home. I can open video at home. Far from a nudibranch. Video very fuzzy but looks like something very weird.
I am going to dip the coral later on tonight. I have seen what montipora eating nudibranchs looks like and this doesn't seem to be anything like it. With that said though that is the only form of nudi I have every seem in person. like someone mentioned earlier this thing has mandibles and it does go in and out of the hole it is in when I flash light onto it. Can I expect it to just flush out of the coral when dippin if it is a worm? If not will I have to pluck it out?
remove by what means you can. Wear gloves and if you can, do this in a bucket so you can take pic of the culprit as I and im sure others are very curious

OP
OP
L

Lruta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: I tried dipping the coral to no avail. When I picked up the dip I asked the LFS and they said try dipping and if it doesn't come out go ahead and put a dab of glue over the holes. Went ahead and did that. Unfortunately I did cover a little more of the flesh than I wanted to with glues so there is some damage that needs to heal but the holes are 100% covered. Will let you guys know what comes of it.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: I tried dipping the coral to no avail. When I picked up the dip I asked the LFS and they said try dipping and if it doesn't come out go ahead and put a dab of glue over the holes. Went ahead and did that. Unfortunately I did cover a little more of the flesh than I wanted to with glues so there is some damage that needs to heal but the holes are 100% covered. Will let you guys know what comes of it.

No worries i've glued lps flesh before and they shrug it off after awhile.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back