Some sort of tube worm? microscope photos and video. ID?

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these tiny tube worms in a frag tank. Do you know what they are?
They are a hitchhiker from a zoa frag from a local guy. They seem to only spread outward from the frag plug and not popping up anywhere else. I never see a mucus net ( but that obviously doesn't mean there is isnt one there when I'm not looking). Their tube is whitish ( the orange hue is from the microscope light) and appears to have segments sort of like bamboo. There doesn't appear to be an operculum. The end of their tube is perhaps slightly fluted and many of them have a bit of a point on one side of the opening that looks sort of like a juicebox straw. They are about 100 micrometers wide and about 1cm to 1.5cm long on average. They sway in the current. The animal inside appears to have a redish and dark color section as well as a lot of translucent body part as well. There have never been any fish in this tank and rarely anything that resembles food going into the tank but it has grown some brownish slimy algae ( or i think its algae at least) in the past so there has to have been nutrients at some point i suppose. I am not sure what they are eating though. They have been alive for many months so they must be eating something... The water in the aquarium eventually turned a tea like brown and got super foamy in the sump. I added some ChemiPure Blue and it cleared that up in a few days. Anyone seen these before??

0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0008.jpg
0010.jpg
worm in tank.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tube worm it is and generally emits a feather like fan to capture food

OP
OP
John Robbins

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube worm it is and generally emits a feather like fan to capture food
Yeah, I figure its some sort of tube worm as well. The problem is that these multiplly fairly rapidly and the large numbers of them get so dense that they choke out smaller corals . fortunately these are in a holding tank but if they got in someone's display, it could be super bad news. Wondering how to eradicate them, have a suggestion?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, I figure its some sort of tube worm as well. The problem is that these multiplly fairly rapidly and the large numbers of them get so dense that they choke out smaller corals . fortunately these are in a holding tank but if they got in someone's display, it could be super bad news. Wondering how to eradicate them, have a suggestion?
Bumble snails will get them one by one or place a small dab of gel superglue from the dollar store over the opening of each one

Back