Some strange leafy algae

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look around the return in the middle ad in the sand I have this very leafy algae that is growing. I only started to see this recently. I am not sure what it is or how to get rid of it other than manual removal. Can someone identify and help me out. The cyano has been decreasing as I have adjusted my flow and nutrients. But this leafy stuff is stubborn. I am not sure if this is contamination from my sump. I used to have miracle mud and a macro of some sort; honestly cant remember as I removed it a few years ago.

Tank:
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77 F
Calc 380 ( working getting this up)
ALK 9.9 dkh
Mag 1260
Nitrate say 0 but i assume the algae is eating it.
nitrite 0 ammonia 0

1643048012942.png

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try and grab a better shot after work but here is a flashlight picture 10 days ago. You can see the leaf and stem on the blue box along with a little stem in the sand out front.

1643049184995.png

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the algae but I love the TARDIS and is that the gate from Stargate? :) Where did you get the TARDIS?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snag a pic when you get home under white lights and cloe up, but focused. We should be able to ID for ya, as I can tag some others who grow macros, like me, to help out if needed.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snag a pic when you get home under white lights and cloe up, but focused. We should be able to ID for ya, as I can tag some others who grow macros, like me, to help out if needed.
Will do on the better pictures later, was working with what was in my phone at work.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa and possibly caulpera prolifera. ( I am on my phone) so sort of hard to see, but is caulerpa of some sort.

@F i s h y @Subsea @WheatToast should be able to confirm which one for sure, as they may be on PCs.

No matter the one it is, in oder to remove, you must get all of the runners and all of the roots. Sometimes this requires a dental pick or similar to do. Others have had success with stuff like reef flux or similar. @dvgyfresh recently went through a massive annihilation of it, as it overran the tank.

Being as it is not that much, manual intervention now may prevent it from getting out of hand. Just got to be sure to get rotts and runners. Even taking rock out to do it is ok. You can also put a little perozide (3%) on the area where a runner was, let sit for 5 minutes and then rinse off in old tank water. This will kill any remnants that may be left behind, but will not hurt bacteria in all of rock or tank. Just need to do it out of tank and rinse with old tank water before putting back in.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa and possibly caulpera prolifera. ( I am on my phone) so sort of hard to see, but is caulerpa of some sort.

@F i s h y @Subsea @WheatToast should be able to confirm which one for sure, as they may be on PCs.

No matter the one it is, in oder to remove, you must get all of the runners and all of the roots. Sometimes this requires a dental pick or similar to do. Others have had success with stuff like reef flux or similar. @dvgyfresh recently went through a massive annihilation of it, as it overran the tank.

Being as it is not that much, manual intervention now may prevent it from getting out of hand. Just got to be sure to get rotts and runners. Even taking rock out to do it is ok. You can also put a little perozide (3%) on the area where a runner was, let sit for 5 minutes and then rinse off in old tank water. This will kill any remnants that may be left behind, but will not hurt bacteria in all of rock or tank. Just need to do it out of tank and rinse with old tank water before putting back in.
I am leaning more towards Caulerpa brachypus or Caulerpa subserrata (featuring flattened blades like Caulerpa prolifera, but much smaller and slightly serrated). They can become a nuisance, but the Caulerpa brachypus I own has barely grown since I purchased it last September. They are also said to be great at nutrient uptake.

1643066015392.png
Caulerpa brachypus

1643066092753.png
Caulerpa subserrata

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeep that’s what I had!! I was removing a big freezer bag of it weekly manually! I was tired of doing this and reef flux worked like a charm

Attachments

• E248FCF1-980F-4979-9D03-DEE714829282.jpeg
    E248FCF1-980F-4979-9D03-DEE714829282.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 35
  • CF2A4A82-87FB-46E7-97C5-A046B2077BC3.jpeg
    CF2A4A82-87FB-46E7-97C5-A046B2077BC3.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 42

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species of Caulerpa features small, irregular branched uprights with a series of flat serrated blades. It is fairly common in the aquarium trade and is often used as a nutrient exporter in the refugium. It is native to shallow water habitats, growing on small rocks and coral fragments. This smaller sized specimen is very hardy and will not grow too large in the aquarium. Somewhat palatable, it is mostly left alone due to its stiff composition.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Grimmj0b

I looked for a tank thread to better understand your comment of contaminant. I see nutrient recycling if you had herbivores to nibble.

If you don’t like, then pull it out. Whoever said to use reef flux is treading on thin ice. I see little science to back that up. This is what the manufacture says:

Reef Flux is a fluconazole treatment that is effective against certain fungal fish infections. It contains no fillers or additives and is lab tested for purity. A notable side-effect of fluconazole is that it is extremely detrimental to bryopsis algae.

Previously known as Algae Buster, Reef Flux is an aquarium fluconazole treatment that is effective against fungal fish infections. To avoid unintended nutrient spikes it should not be used in tanks with refugiums that have Caulerpa and Bryopsis.

Note: Not effective against hair or other turf style algae.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Grimmj0b

I looked for a tank thread to better understand your comment of contaminant. I see nutrient recycling if you had herbivores to nibble.

If you don’t like, then pull it out. Whoever said to use reef flux is treading on thin ice. I see little science to back that up. This is what the manufacture says:

Reef Flux is a fluconazole treatment that is effective against certain fungal fish infections. It contains no fillers or additives and is lab tested for purity. A notable side-effect of fluconazole is that it is extremely detrimental to bryopsis algae.

Previously known as Algae Buster, Reef Flux is an aquarium fluconazole treatment that is effective against fungal fish infections. To avoid unintended nutrient spikes it should not be used in tanks with refugiums that have Caulerpa and Bryopsis.

Note: Not effective against hair or other turf style algae.
That would be me walking on ice lol. Numerous individuals on here and ones I know personally (locally) have used it for Bryopsis and Caulerpa to eradicate it.

This is why it was mentioned as a secondary step, if needed. First step is always manual removal IMO, as I hate adding checmical to tanks. I do see a need for it sometimes, but usually as a last resort.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning more towards Caulerpa brachypus or Caulerpa subserrata (featuring flattened blades like Caulerpa prolifera, but much smaller and slightly serrated). They can become a nuisance, but the Caulerpa brachypus I own has barely grown since I purchased it last September. They are also said to be great at nutrient uptake.

1643066015392.png
Caulerpa brachypus

1643066092753.png
Caulerpa subserrata
I like the caulerpa brachypus identification. I think the removal part of the question has been answered.

Good catch on the serated blades.

Back