OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pull it out it tonight manually. I have gotten most of it out. I do worry there might be some runner hiding in the rocks. If it isn't hurting anything I don't mind manually removing it. It seems to have attached itself to some old shells in substrate. I removed any shell they were attached to. Plucked it off the rock work but most was in the sand.

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just follow the dosing instructions on the bottle or did you alter it based on your goal of killing off the algae.

Planning on letting it ride for a week or 2 and seeing if it comes back. If it returns I'll do another manual removal and dose it. Only thing in the tank is mushrooms and a small colony of zoa that came on a live rock a friend gave me when shut down his tank.

Thanks everyone for the help. I looked through pictures online but couldn't didn't see this particular variety. Think you guys nailed it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look around the return in the middle ad in the sand I have this very leafy algae that is growing. I only started to see this recently. I am not sure what it is or how to get rid of it other than manual removal. Can someone identify and help me out. The cyano has been decreasing as I have adjusted my flow and nutrients. But this leafy stuff is stubborn. I am not sure if this is contamination from my sump. I used to have miracle mud and a macro of some sort; honestly cant remember as I removed it a few years ago.

Tank:
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77 F
Calc 380 ( working getting this up)
ALK 9.9 dkh
Mag 1260
Nitrate say 0 but i assume the algae is eating it.
nitrite 0 ammonia 0

1643048012942.png
Can we talk about the Stargate in the room? Lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just follow the dosing instructions on the bottle or did you alter it based on your goal of killing off the algae.

Planning on letting it ride for a week or 2 and seeing if it comes back. If it returns I'll do another manual removal and dose it. Only thing in the tank is mushrooms and a small colony of zoa that came on a live rock a friend gave me when shut down his tank.

Thanks everyone for the help. I looked through pictures online but couldn't didn't see this particular variety. Think you guys nailed it.
1.5x dose to kill caulerpa , I was where you are now before. Lol didn’t think it would become crazy I’ll just remove it … and then the great caulerpa-ing happend . I think my cuc likes to eat it but not finish and it would be spread throughout the tank - even survived in areas of no light and grew roots

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pull it out it tonight manually. I have gotten most of it out. I do worry there might be some runner hiding in the rocks. If it isn't hurting anything I don't mind manually removing it. It seems to have attached itself to some old shells in substrate. I removed any shell they were attached to. Plucked it off the rock work but most was in the sand.

Caulerpa holdfast in substrate normally come up complete. For holdfast on rocks, I suggest toothbrush dipped in peroxide to sanitize rock of any remaining holdfast. Every 10 seconds renew peroxide on toothbrush. How big is your tank?

OP
OP
Grimmj

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa holdfast in substrate normally come up complete. For holdfast on rocks, I suggest toothbrush dipped in peroxide to sanitize rock of any remaining holdfast. Every 10 seconds renew peroxide on toothbrush. How big is your tank?
80 DT 20g sump

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be me walking on ice lol. Numerous individuals on here and ones I know personally (locally) have used it for Bryopsis and Caulerpa to eradicate it.

This is why it was mentioned as a secondary step, if needed. First step is always manual removal IMO, as I hate adding checmical to tanks. I do see a need for it sometimes, but usually as a last resort.
Before using a fungicide as an algecide, I would use hydrogen peroxide dosed to bulk water.

PS: If I remember the dosage, it was 10ml per 10G of water. Depending on BOD (biological oxygen demand) of your system. Be very cautious to start out with half this dosage so as not to harm your shrimps. The Europeans use a more sophisticated product called an Oxgenator.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back