Some zoas closed and Duncan not looking happy

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90G tank with 100lbs or so of live rock. 7 months old.

I have a few things that don’t look quite right.

I noticed my Duncan not opening and then 2 colonies of star gazer zoas plus some other random colony on a rock. They just don’t seem happy. I have 40* other zoas, euphyllias, pipe organ, ricordia that seem very happy.

Temp 78
Mg 1250
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8:5
ph 8.1
Phosphate 0.2
Nitrate (2nd from bottom on card). Think that 2

I suspect maybe over feeding a high nitrates so doing a water change, cleaning the skimmer and feeding less. No algae breakouts.

What’s interesting is the 2 star gazer colonies are in different parts of the tank and they look the same and not happy. I wonder if particular types of zoas are more susceptible than others and these are my canaries in a coal mine.

OP
OP
W

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other thing I was thinking is maybe some paly warfare so dropped some carbon in the sump. I’ll see if a 15% water change perks them up

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of those corals that you mentioned like dirtier water like 5-10 nitrates I’m keeping sunny D zoas and Illuminati zoas , and they love my tank at 5 nitrates
ACCE2865-C797-47D0-B123-1FB611FF0D0B.jpeg
D51C2157-41D7-4517-A81E-4AD78ADD5BB0.jpeg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API and a strip. I don’t really chase numbers
How do you test phosphate ?

what I would do is let the tank do its thing. If only a few coral is unhappy but 75% of your tank is doing fine I would wait a couple days and see what happens zoas close randomly sometimes and and even the slightest bump will make a Duncan close.

OP
OP
W

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah meter for phosphate and test strips. Was just saying nitrate I only have test strips.

OP
OP
W

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you test phosphate ?

what I would do is let the tank do its thing. If only a few coral is unhappy but 75% of your tank is doing fine I would wait a couple days and see what happens zoas close randomly sometimes and and even the slightest bump will make a Duncan close.
That’s generally what I do but what intrigues me is the two colonies of the same type of zoa in two diff parts of the tank acting the same way.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are high at .2 ppm, but your nitrates if truly at 2 ppm are not high at all.
Seems strange that your tank is running high phosphates, but low nitrates.

Regardless, I don't think either of those parameters are what is ticking off your corals.

You didn't dose any H2O2 to your tank did you? Both my duncans and zoas all close up whenever I dose H2O2, but that is pretty much the only time they close....

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are high at .2 ppm, but your nitrates if truly at 2 ppm are not high at all.
Seems strange that your tank is running high phosphates, but low nitrates.

Regardless, I don't think either of those parameters are what is ticking off your corals.

You didn't dose any H2O2 to your tank did you? Both my duncans and zoas all close up whenever I dose H2O2, but that is pretty much the only time they close....
The more I read the more I'm on the salinity train. Only time will tell about recovery. Fingers crossed.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I noticed my Duncan not opening and then 2 colonies of star gazer zoas plus some other random colony on a rock. They just don’t seem happy. I have 40* other zoas, euphyllias, pipe organ, ricordia that seem very happy.

Temp 78
Mg 1250
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.1
Phosphate 0.2

I suspect maybe over feeding a high nitrates so doing a water change, cleaning the skimmer and feeding less. No algae breakouts.

What’s interesting is the 2 star gazer colonies are in different parts of the tank and they look the same and not happy. I wonder if particular types of zoas are more susceptible than others and these are my canaries in a coal mine.
1 started feeding once a day and my nitrates went from 0.20 to 0.09

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Temp 78
Mg 1250
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.1
Phosphate 0.2

I love zoas too and mine aren't happy even though my parameters are good.
I too compare them to the canary in the coal mine! LOL

Let The Games Begin !

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back