Somebody please help-lifegard UV on WB 200.6

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a lifegard 40w and im trying to figure out how to plumb it to one of my manifolds. Tank is waterbox 220.6. My pump is the Varios 8. Ill be using it for algae/ clarity. If anyone has a picture that speaks volumes. I can usually figure most things out im stumped. Im aware of the flow. Im able to take my pump speed up to 100% also aware that im not getting the 1900g its rated for, based on researching this for awhile.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a lifegard 40w and im trying to figure out how to plumb it to one of my manifolds. Tank is waterbox 220.6. My pump is the Varios 8. Ill be using it for algae/ clarity. If anyone has a picture that speaks volumes. I can usually figure most things out im stumped. Im aware of the flow. Im able to take my pump speed up to 100% also aware that im not getting the 1900g its rated for, based on researching this for awhile.
Don’t know that this will help or not. I have the 55 watt mounted horizontally to the underneath of the cabinet on my tank (not a water box). I didn’t go off a manifold as I didn’t want it cycling the output back to the return pump. I plumbed my return pump to the uv and the uv to the tank return. I have the flow adjusted a little slow which works great for me. There are much better ways, such as having a separate pump and pulling and returning from the display but that entails extra visible piping. Main thing is to keep it so that there are no air pockets in the chamber as it could overheat and crack when water hits the quartz.

OP
OP
Heather Kastory

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me extra plumbing id be even more confused. ive watched so many videos and read as much as i cound. Is is large and sump area is small and already being used. Sounds like I'm going to have it outside sump tank and put in vented cabinet vertically so no air bubbles and then plumb as you suggested from return pump through sterilizer then to DT. That actually maes more sense the fitting on manifold which is very small. Thank you very much for helping.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me extra plumbing id be even more confused. ive watched so many videos and read as much as i cound. Is is large and sump area is small and already being used. Sounds like I'm going to have it outside sump tank and put in vented cabinet vertically so no air bubbles and then plumb as you suggested from return pump through sterilizer then to DT. That actually maes more sense the fitting on manifold which is very small. Thank you very much for helping.
A lot of people mount them on the back of the cabinet so that it’s not really visible. But you kinda need to do that before you fill the tank. I don’t like that idea as if you ever have a leak it’s not easy to handle. Vertically is the best way to keep air pockets out for sure. Do you have a controller? I recommend having it switch off the uv when the return pump is off, like when feeding, maintenance, etc,. If you don’t have a check valve and the pump switches off, the lamp can dry out and overheat, or build up calcium deposits at the very least.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, lastly. I highly recommend ordering a spare seal and oring for the lamp. Lifegard products sometimes aren’t readily available. When you clean the quartz sleeve or replace the lamp (seals don’t come with the lamp or sleeve) you may find the seal stuck on the quartz, or it has become stiff/brittle and it can seep after reassembly. Better safe than sorry, especially if it’s feeding your tank and it can’t be bypassed in short order.

OP
OP
Heather Kastory

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the apex..wanted to wait for a sale at some point..that is very good information. Kinda dove into this hobby and wish I knew then what I've learned in 2 years about equipment space.. Tank is NOT moving. Thank you again for all the info. Guess I'm shopping this weekend. Have a great one yourself..

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 2 return nozzles in your tank you can put a T coming off your return pump. One side going to one return nozzle the other side with a ball valve running to the uv which then runs back to the other return so you can adjust the flow to just the uv. My uv is mounted to the wall just outside the tank behind a small cabinet that I keep necessities in. My uv is mounted vertically so there is no chance of having air in the chamber!

OP
OP
Heather Kastory

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 2 return nozzles in your tank you can put a T coming off your return pump. One side going to one return nozzle the other side with a ball valve running to the uv which then runs back to the other return so you can adjust the flow to just the uv. My uv is mounted to the wall just outside the tank behind a small cabinet that I keep necessities in. My uv is mounted vertically so there is no chance of having air in the chamber!
I do have return nozzles but they share same line and split right before outputting..so basically just one. Definitely mounting outside tank and vertically.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how my fiji cube is set up. Has a bulk head out of the top of the sump which I added a T fitting. To the right is the UV. And above the two middle pipes are the drains with the ball valves and the outer lines are the returns.

E8A20CBB-CC68-49E4-A9AF-466965CA823D.jpeg

OP
OP
Heather Kastory

Heather Kastory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how my fiji cube is set up. Has a bulk head out of the top of the sump which I added a T fitting. To the right is the UV. And above the two middle pipes are the drains with the ball valves and the outer lines are the returns.

E8A20CBB-CC68-49E4-A9AF-466965CA823D.jpeg
I've decided to return this one and get the Aquaultraviolet 57w instead. The length is about half of the lifegard. This will allow plumbing from return pump through uv then to tank return line with minimal turns and distance.. Return pump to uv will be just about 6" then from UV line to DT return about 18" and then another 30" to retum nozzles. Running it this way i can dial in speed on pump to either of the needed GPH for either use, due to headloss. Thanks again!!!

Wreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to return this one and get the Aquaultraviolet 57w instead. The length is about half of the lifegard. This will allow plumbing from return pump through uv then to tank return line with minimal turns and distance.. Return pump to uv will be just about 6" then from UV line to DT return about 18" and then another 30" to retum nozzles. Running it this way i can dial in speed on pump to either of the needed GPH for either use, due to headloss. Thanks again!!!
Did you ever end up getting this installed? Any photos?

This is how I’m thinking of running mine as well. From the return pump inline, and then return to tank. That way it’s 100% controllable and closed loop to treat all water as it turns over

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back