Someone’s dumped half a tub of pellets in my tank

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is located in my office, I left for literally maybe 30 minutes and my nephew is visiting. He’s 10 years old, generally knowledgeable about this stuff. He’s found the food on one of my cabinets and dumped almost half a tub or pellets in there…..

I’m desperately trying to vacuum them out now, what else should I do and what should I expect?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would be doing is vacuum pellets out you can see/ find .
A water change .
And test daily each day for at least a few days,if not a week.
If parameters start rising then water change .

Aw also sit nephew down and find out if was him and if so explain how to act around tank,and the need to tell someone if do something and made a mistake / accident .
Goodluck.

Edit: maybe good idea when you think you got them all,get your powerhead and aim towards the rock to try dislodge some if they got caught in the rocks.

If any sponges/ filter socks in your sump,keep checking here incase get there and just decomposing.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would be doing is vacuum pellets out you can see/ find .
A water change .
And test daily each day for at least a few days,if not a week.
If parameters start rising then water change .

Aw also sit nephew down and find out if was him and if so explain how to act around tank,and the need to tell someone if do something and made a mistake / accident .
Goodluck.

Edit: maybe good idea when you think you got them all,get your powerhead and aim towards the rock to try dislodge some if they got caught in the rocks.

If any sponges/ filter socks in your sump,keep checking here incase get there and just decomposing.

Cheers I’ve got most of what is visible with a combination of the vacuum and turkey baster to try suck up individuals. I can only see what I would call an acceptable amount of pellets on the sand for my cleanup crew to gather over the next few hours.

It was him, I sat him down and asked if he made a mistake and explained why he can’t do that and should ask me if he wants to feed the fish.

He’s autistic, so I can’t be too mad. It’s not the end of the world, there’s just a lot of money in that tank lol.

He’s always shown interest in the tank and everytime he’s visited I’ve let him feed them supervised so clearly a mistake.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers I’ve got most of what is visible with a combination of the vacuum and turkey baster to try suck up individuals. I can only see what I would call an acceptable amount of pellets on the sand for my cleanup crew to gather over the next few hours.

It was him, I sat him down and asked if he made a mistake and explained why he can’t do that and should ask me if he wants to feed the fish.

He’s autistic, so I can’t be too mad. It’s not the end of the world, there’s just a lot of money in that tank lol.

He’s always shown interest in the tank and everytime he’s visited I’ve let him feed them supervised so clearly a mistake.
Yeah things happen in life, just got to do best to limit them hey.
Hopefully all is well.
All you can do now is monitor your parameters and hopefully if is some pellets left in there,your biological filter and cuc get them,maybe even your fish if they eat off the sandbed

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah things happen in life, just got to do best to limit them hey.
Hopefully all is well.
All you can do now is monitor your parameters and hopefully if is some pellets left in there,your biological filter and cuc get them,maybe even your fish if they eat off the sandbed
One thing I did learn from this experience is seemingly overnight my clownfish female has decided she’s very brave and wants to start biting me hahahah

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I did learn from this experience is seemingly overnight my clownfish female has decided she’s very brave and wants to start biting me hahahah
Only had mine 14 month and 2 inch or so now and got as tiny juveniles and last 6 month or so if try grab empty shells out tank ( feed clams/ oysters/scallops/ ) then that's the clownfishes queue to try bite me,so there I am 6 foot 2 macho man pulling my hands away from a 2 Inch clown incase bites me ha ha

So I chase them away with the tweezers and grab an empty shell quick lol

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only had mine 14 month and 2 inch or so now and got as tiny juveniles and last 6 month or so if try grab empty shells out tank ( feed clams/ oysters/scallops/ ) then that's the clownfishes queue to try bite me,so there I am 6 foot 2 macho man pulling my hands away from a 2 Inch clown incase bites me ha ha

So I chase them away with the tweezers and grab an empty shell quick lol
I started swooshing back at them eventually show them who’s boss lol. It was like a Mexican standoff with my clown.

Anyway, my water is STINKING of fish food right now, really strong fishy smell that’s filled the room. Is this something I should be worried about? When I cleaned out the food I could find I also did a 40-50% wager change just trying to get them out

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor params and keep up on the water changes. You’ll probably get an algae bloom in a few days…
Most important I’d say is to keep the food out of reach so it doesn’t happen again.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor params and keep up on the water changes. You’ll probably get an algae bloom in a few days…
Most important I’d say is to keep the food out of reach so it doesn’t happen again.
He’s 10 years old, and a smart 10 year old at that, unless I keep it in the literal food cupboard he’d be able to find it if he went looking lol. My housemate probably wouldn’t appreciate fish food in the food cupboard.

With that said, it is a lesson learned. I keep all of my equipment and food in a drawer, I’ll be moving some of that stuff to a more private area.

Now I just need to get rid of this awful fishy smell my water has

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If having an algae bloom /or is it bacterial bloom ? and water possibly cloudy,make sure lots of surface agitation or even add an airstone to dt or sump if it is,maybe even open a window ( incase your house well Insulated and lots of people/and or dogs in your house driving up the co2) and let some fresh air in so when that surface agitation and gas exchange happens its helping oxygenate your water as the algae bloom can deplete oxygen in the tank as they use it up etc.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s 10 years old, and a smart 10 year old at that, unless I keep it in the literal food cupboard he’d be able to find it if he went looking lol. My housemate probably wouldn’t appreciate fish food in the food cupboard.

With that said, it is a lesson learned. I keep all of my equipment and food in a drawer, I’ll be moving some of that stuff to a more private area.

Now I just need to get rid of this awful fishy smell my water has
You can get child proof drawer locks. I had several sets when I had a toddler in the house that are magnetic and hidden. What's more, they can be locked open when not needed.

Magnetic Cabinet Locks (12-Pack 2 Keys) Baby Proofing & Child Safety by Skyla Homes - The Safest, Quickest and Easiest Multi-Purpose 3M Adhesive Child Proof Latches, No Screws or Tools Needed

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back