Someone Gave Me A Tank But I Need Help!!!

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, I was friends with someone who ended up giving me a whole tank setup to start my own reef tank. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it started at that time but now I am and I don't remember everything he taught me. I am going to be setting up tank this week hopefully so any info on what's required, what not to do, good equipment to buy, etc. I believe I need 1lb of live rock per gallon of water but I cant remember how much sand, or salt?, I need or what brand heater to use. I will get pictures once I pick up from storage. Any and all info welcomed and appreciated.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Here are a couple great threads to give a read through
The Ultimate Guide To Starting A Saltwater Aquarium
The Guide To Acclimation and Quarantine
Cycling an Aquarium

Those mixed with the thousands of great users on here should get you headed in the right direction ;)
chinesefontdesign.com-2017-09-10_06-23-22_597945.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, as mentioned above I would read the guides on this specific website because they are very well done! Also BRS did 52 Weeks of Reefing and if you like more visuals, that really helped me learn! But really don’t be afraid to ask questions, everything at the beginning is very confusing but once you grasp it it becomes more and more familiar!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2Reef is a great place to just search for a question. This is far and away the most active reefing website, so someone else has asked whatever you're curious about. However, the #1 thing I like to recommend to newcomers is to watch the Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing series on YouTube. It's a bit lengthy but should answer any and all questions you may have about starting a tank.

All that said, this hobby is all about learning as you go. There's no way to know absolutely everything, so once you feel confident enough about the knowledge you've obtained I'd suggest just diving in.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard SilverCityReef! Plenty of great minds with several hundred years experience here willing to help.

You're at the right site to be for sure.

The first thing to do is fill the tank with water to make sure it does not leak. A simple garden house and spigot will do fine.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @SilverCityReef !!! We are here to help you setup your little piece of the ocean. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Like it was advised by other members, those BRS videos will help you a lot to get the basic knowledge of reefing and keeping those beautiful animals alive.
dori.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back