Someone slap some sense into me. Few things I can't pinpoint.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some assistance.

I am having a nitrate issue. It's constantly between 40-80 according to api test kit. Looking to see what else I can do to lower them

I've read so much and watched so many youtube videos and am still at a loss

I have a 60g total volume system.

Rsr rsk 300 skimmer. 1 week old. I run it wet currently

Cheato under 150w light (was under 20w light new light 3 days old)

Started vodka dosing .2 ml and increasing in a few days

I feed about a mysis cube a day for 6 fish.

Last thing I can think to do is not feed as much. I know things take time I am in no rush but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to clarify nothing is in happy or going south in the tank, I just know that if it keeps going unchecked it could cause some issue down the line and I would rather be proactive about it. Just want to clear that up.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you threw everything at it but the kitchen sink. Now you have to sit back and wait for results. It may take weeks to see things turn in the right direction.

The bad thing about your approach is that you won't be able to credit what you did to solve the issue.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask this food wise, can I cut back feeding to 3 times a week? My gf and I are suckers for feeding daily. The fish give us that old were starving face/dance everytime we look at them and we're suckers for it. I have 2 small clowns / a goby / fire fish / 2 blue green chromis.

I do have a decent cuc a few of each kind of snails 10ish total and 5 hermits. We're kind of good about making sure most the food gets eaten but it's not 100 I'm sure some gets away

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you threw everything at it but the kitchen sink. Now you have to sit back and wait for results. It may take weeks to see things turn in the right direction.

The bad thing about your approach is that you won't be able to credit what you did to solve the issue.

I do agree with that, In July we're moving and I told the gf as part of it I'm upgrading to 75-100g so I know having a the extra stuff can't hurt.

I would also suggest investing in a new nitrate testing kit. I only use api if I am looking for a yes or no answer to a parameter. They are notoriously low quality when it comes to accuracy.

I will look into some other ones this weekend.

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask this food wise, can I cut back feeding to 3 times a week? My gf and I are suckers for feeding daily. The fish give us that old were starving face/dance everytime we look at them and we're suckers for it. I have 2 small clowns / a goby / fire fish / 2 blue green chromis.

I do have a decent cuc a few of each kind of snails 10ish total and 5 hermits. We're kind of good about making sure most the food gets eaten but it's not 100 I'm sure some gets away

You can but I wouldn’t advise it. Think of it this way, would you survive if you ate 3 times a week?Yes. Would it be healthy? Definitely not.

Gotta remember these are living animals. Cut back the Amount you feed daily rather than cutting back the amount of feedings weekly.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some assistance.

I am having a nitrate issue. It's constantly between 40-80 according to api test kit. Looking to see what else I can do to lower them

I've read so much and watched so many youtube videos and am still at a loss

I have a 60g total volume system.

Rsr rsk 300 skimmer. 1 week old. I run it wet currently

Cheato under 150w light (was under 20w light new light 3 days old)

Started vodka dosing .2 ml and increasing in a few days

I feed about a mysis cube a day for 6 fish.

Last thing I can think to do is not feed as much. I know things take time I am in no rush but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Are you seeing negative results with your Nitrates being where they are?
There are many reeferss here running where your at or higher showing excellent results.
That being said have you confirmed your api results with a secondary kit and even had lfs confirm Nitrate results?
Api is known for faulty results. Too many threads here on that topic I experienced it myself with faulty kit right out of the box.
Carbon vodka dosing will bring your nitrates down fast. As @Sisterlimonpot schooled me to carbon dosing. Do your research. When dosed at reccomended dosing. A little goes a long way. Keep an eye on your skimmer and make sure you have plenty of skimming happening.
Go easy.
My best advice running high Nitrates is dont allow your phosphates to bottom out.
Make sure your testing for both and make sure your test are accurate and confirmed before you do anything else.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing negative results with your Nitrates being where they are?
There are many reeferss here running where your at or higher showing excellent results.
That being said have you confirmed your api results with a secondary kit and even had lfs confirm Nitrate results?
Api is known for faulty results. Too many threads here on that topic I experienced it myself with faulty kit right out of the box.
Carbon vodka dosing will bring your nitrates down fast. As @Sisterlimonpot schooled me to carbon dosing. Do your research. When dosed at reccomended dosing. A little goes a long way. Keep an eye on your skimmer and make sure you have plenty of skimming happening.
Go easy.
My best advice running high Nitrates is dont allow your phosphates to bottom out.
Make sure your testing for both and make sure your test are accurate and confirmed before you do anything else.

I have not used a 2nd kit to test, I'm going to get one this weekend. In all honesty I have not tested my phosphate in a few weeks it has always hovered around 0.05.

Tank wise everything is good a little alger here and there but, corals are growing even sps monti's anacros and acros. But I don't want the train to keep moving in the direction it's headed.

For the vodka I read a few sites and a few videos that advised .01 ml per 25g for the 1st 3 days. Then to bump it up a little I wrote down the " formula " they gave and was going to wait a day or so and make the adjustment.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a 2nd kit to test, I'm going to get one this weekend. In all honesty I have not tested my phosphate in a few weeks it has always hovered around 0.05.

Tank wise everything is good a little alger here and there but, corals are growing even sps monti's anacros and acros. But I don't want the train to keep moving in the direction it's headed.

For the vodka I read a few sites and a few videos that advised .01 ml per 25g for the 1st 3 days. Then to bump it up a little I wrote down the " formula " they gave and was going to wait a day or so and make the adjustment.
Slow and steady in moderation is the best. Gradual increase of Nitrates over extended period of time without depleting your phosphates shouldn't result catastrophic results and you will see negative results over time. If your not seeing any.
Defientely confirm your api test first as well as phosphates.
I would have reccomend a thorough cleaning. Glass, sand, algae and a good water change.
If confirmed vodka will quickly lower N especially if you over do it. You don't want to quickly lower or raise N or P or throw off the balance you already have.
Confirm what you have. Then take neccesary steps

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back