Someone tell me NO!!

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set up first. Have a 90 gallon reef tank that I have started after being 8 years away from the hobby. My old dead rock (roughly 40#) has cycled. I am already at the point of introducing CUC and have started with two small green chromis and they did so well that I added two small Ocellaris. I am seeing some corraline growth. So everything is going very well. Water parameters are all spot on. So here is the part I need help with. I have someone locally that is selling 20-40 pounds of live rock, for only a $1.00 a pound. Has some mushroom coral with it. Only downside, the bubble alage and hair alage. Someone tell me while it is a good deal, I should pass.... Please tell me I need to resist. (OK, just writing this has made me realize I would be an idiot)...

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't intentionally add any type of nusciance algea to my tank....just because I spend some much time fighting it. Are you buying it just for the coral or do you want to add a bunch of additional rock?

OP
OP
MNDavid

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original thought was to get additional live rock at such a great price. But I can not take the nuisance of algae into my clean tank. I realize that one of my next major projects is to bring in a 30 gallon and make that into a quarantine tank. Then I could do this deal, but without a quarantine tank I've got to pass on it. (Granted maybe at that price, I could just buy it. Let it go dormant and then once I have the quarantine tank up and running bring it back to life).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set up first. Have a 90 gallon reef tank that I have started after being 8 years away from the hobby. My old dead rock (roughly 40#) has cycled. I am already at the point of introducing CUC and have started with two small green chromis and they did so well that I added two small Ocellaris. I am seeing some corraline growth. So everything is going very well. Water parameters are all spot on. So here is the part I need help with. I have someone locally that is selling 20-40 pounds of live rock, for only a $1.00 a pound. Has some mushroom coral with it. Only downside, the bubble alage and hair alage. Someone tell me while it is a good deal, I should pass.... Please tell me I need to resist. (OK, just writing this has made me realize I would be an idiot)...
I also would pass.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acid bath, then bleach, then cure it somewhere dark with flow.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have someone locally that is selling 20-40 pounds of live rock, for only a $1.00 a pound. Has some mushroom coral with it. Only downside, the bubble alage and hair alage. Someone tell me while it is a good deal, I should pass.... Please tell me I need to resist. (OK, just writing this has made me realize I would be an idiot)...
That is a great deal for the rocks as long as you don`t put them in your tank before you clean the rocks whit acid bath and cycle ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MNDavid

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up. I really wanted the rock (not necessarily the coral). I am going to go and pick it up tomorrow and then acid bath, cure it and it will be added only after it is algae clean. The whole process has been done. So why am I going to rush it.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's nice rock it's worth buying it and acid wash it and cycle it in a container. Nothing wrong getting nice rock especially for cheap. If it's a bla rock then not worth the hassle

OP
OP
MNDavid

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diablomaster9045 Your against buying it for the value of the rock, acid etching it to kill it, then curing it outside the tank. Once and once it is clean then, add it to the main tank?

OP
OP
MNDavid

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's nice rock it's worth buying it and acid wash it and cycle it in a container. Nothing wrong getting nice rock especially for cheap. If it's a bla rock then not worth the hassle
I have yet to have eyes on it. Just this picture.

live rock.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it!

No.gif

OP
OP
MNDavid

MNDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it!
To be fair, I have decided that I'm going to only pick it up for the rock value. I will treat it as trash. Acid wash it, cure it outside the tank. And only once and once it is clean will it be added back to the main tank.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put these rocks with mushrooms in a QT for a few weeks and check for pests, after you make sure the pests are gone you can always frag and sell the mushrooms and make a little extra money, lots of people like them . Afterwards you can then bleach the rocks.

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please don't kill the mushrooms intentionally!! Surely someone will take the risk for live corals, even if they aren't fancy?

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diablomaster9045 Your against buying it for the value of the rock, acid etching it to kill it, then curing it outside the tank. Once and once it is clean then, add it to the main tank?
You asked for someone to say no :p. But being real about it acid wash and re curing would work. If you think its worth the hastle, go for it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back