Something ate some of my Palys

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by John3, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01 Active Member

I'm not sure limpets are the culprit. I suppose it depends on the species, but I have some and they've been model citizens, cleaning up algae but leaving my zoas alone.

DSC reef likes this.

2. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Hard to see in the pic but I believe they were keyhole limpets. Can’t say for certain but it’s a start. I’m gonna get a good look in the morning again before the light comes on.

3. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

I have another pretty large colony of zoas that are on a old mussel shell that only half have been opening. I decided to pull it and do a peroxide and iodine dip. Low and behold 3 more keyhole limpets fell off. Not even sure where they were in the colony. These guys have all been small so far. I’m guessing I will be dealing with them for s while again.

4. TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

It's my understanding they don't really reproduce much in an aquarium - so physical removal should work.

5. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking these must have hatched. 7 so far all about the same size. There’s almost no way they came in on anything unless they were eggs at that point.

I had some come in with my live rock and I picked out the bigger ones. I had a 6 line wrasse back then and he ate all kinds of stuff off the rock. I haven’t seen a limpet for 8 months until just recently.

6. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread back up with an update.

I believe the culprit the whole time was an emerald crab. After removing all the limpets things seemed to be fine for a couple weeks. Then yesterday I noticed the same patch of Palys has a couple chewed polyps. I also had a small 2 polyp patch go missing a week ago. Then last night before bed I took a look in the tank and sure enough there was the crab picking off chunks of the paly.

I’ve been feeding a lot more pellets lately versus frozen food like I used too. I’m thinking between less food and very little algae he’s starving and turning in the corals. Regardless he’s now heading to another tank.

7. trajik

trajik Member

If you keep palys, I would still plan to eradicate those asterina as you see them. They like to smother zoas and nibble a bit. Never completely lost any due to asterina, but I’ve been diligent to keep an eye. They multiply extremely fast, so if you catch them early you’re much better off.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. trajik

trajik Member

Glad you found your culprit though!

Draft saved Draft deleted