Something bit at the wire on my hydor koralia pumpin the water… pics inside

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only noticed it cause the pump was making noise and I looked closer and saw this and every few seconds a tiny flash like a spark showed right above the blue part! :eek: I’m going to take it out and clean it. It’s unplugged for now until I can remove it. Is there some way to cover it up with something waterproof that won’t allow any electrical currents in the tank? Or should I just get rid of it? :( This is in my 225 gallon with two puffers and a snowflake moray. Speaking of, that’s probably the culprits fin in the second pic :rolleyes: the porcupine puff kept pacing in front of my phone as I was trying to get pics. ;Shifty
B5EA73D5-6714-4EBB-AD1F-895C806257A9.jpeg
4E84BF63-2716-4F2F-BBD2-9CCD6B734F4B.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an electrician but i would say if wires been bit and showing then that powerhead or pump is done for unless you can change the wire and make it 100% waterproof where wire enters pump if its under water.
Reason being if say you just taped over it,the wires can still touch each other and short out possibly if been bitten deep enough imo

dlegare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the power head. If you have any larger herbivores they can nip the plastic while trying to eat the algae and bio-film. Urchins can be problematic but typically are going for coralline and smaller wiring like probes can be clipped.

I would suggest wiping down the cords of the pumps every few weeks.

OP
OP
Hadla

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the power head. If you have any larger herbivores they can nip the plastic while trying to eat the algae and bio-film. Urchins can be problematic but typically are going for coralline and smaller wiring like probes can be clipped.

I would suggest wiping down the cords of the pumps every few weeks.
No inverts or herbivores

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back