something is going on with his mouth?

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My convict tang was eating like a pig and very active until today and now he is lethargic and wont eat. his mouth looks puffy. I need to know how to treat? But I'm not sure what it is. the pictures are not great but he is hiding.

IMG_0948 (2).JPG IMG_0947 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish in QT with him are a Orange shoulder tang, flame angel, small hippo tang and royal gramma and two clowns. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is zero. Ph 8.1 and specific gravity is 1.022

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a nasso and had him for 10 days 8 days he ate good 9th he hid didn't eat 10 lying on the bottom. DOA

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish in QT with him are a Orange shoulder tang, flame angel, small hippo tang and royal gramma and two clowns. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is zero. Ph 8.1 and specific gravity is 1.022
What have you treated the QT with so far?
Is the convict breathing fast/hard?
How long have you had it?

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
He isn't breathing hard just being lethargic and not eating. I haven't treated with anything yet.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I introduced the convict tang and orange shoulder tang to the QT tank on Wednesday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., with the lack of rapid breathing, I would suspect that the fish has gotten startled in the new tank and run into the tank side, injuring its mouth. There really is no treatment for an injury, other than time. It could develop a secondary bacterial infection I suppose, but for now it just looks swollen.

Holding a group of new fish in a QT with no treatment is risky. There are likely disease issues brewing, and holding fish in a QT is stressful, and can cause diseases to start getting serious. I never hold a fish in QT longer than 72 hours before starting preventative treatments. Here is a link to my current quarantine protocol:

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., with the lack of rapid breathing, I would suspect that the fish has gotten startled in the new tank and run into the tank side, injuring its mouth. There really is no treatment for an injury, other than time. It could develop a secondary bacterial infection I suppose, but for now it just looks swollen.

Holding a group of new fish in a QT with no treatment is risky. There are likely disease issues brewing, and holding fish in a QT is stressful, and can cause diseases to start getting serious. I never hold a fish in QT longer than 72 hours before starting preventative treatments. Here is a link to my current quarantine protocol:

Jay
Thank you. The QT tank is a 55 gallon with a sump with skimmer and filter sock. I suspect he got into it with the orange shoulder. I ordered a tank divider but it wont be here until Thursday. While I was waiting for a response to my post I went ahead and started prazipro. Not sure if this was the right move or not.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The QT tank is a 55 gallon with a sump with skimmer and filter sock. I suspect he got into it with the orange shoulder. I ordered a tank divider but it wont be here until Thursday. While I was waiting for a response to my post I went ahead and started prazipro. Not sure if this was the right move or not.
It won't hurt, and the fish may have flukes, just the lip thing isn't a symptom of flukes. Be sure to continue to run your skimmer for aeration but don't collect any skimmmate during a prazi treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I have to keep these fish healthy until my display is ready. I am still in the process of setting it up. I can always pick up a 40 breeder if I need to set up another QT tank to separate some of these fish to give them even more room.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't hurt, and the fish may have flukes, just the lip thing isn't a symptom of flukes. Be sure to continue to run your skimmer for aeration but don't collect any skimmmate during a prazi treatment.

Jay
Skimmer is running without the cup along with a HOB filter with bio media in it. Everyone was eating yesterday after the treatment except the convict.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I just checked this morning when the lights came on and there seems to be a change. His mouth looks worse and he is breathing heavily and coming to the top of the tank

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks worse

Attachments

• 20210802_095403.jpg
    20210802_095403.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks worse
That does look worse, and the new symptoms are an issue. Is the orange shoulder still looking ok?

For this fish, I can’t tell you what direction to go; if the rapid breathing is caused by a secondary bacterial infection, then antibiotics would be the way to go. However if the rapid breathing isn’t related to the mouth injury, there could be a protozoan infection going on at the same time as the mouth injury.
Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look worse, and the new symptoms are an issue. Is the orange shoulder still looking ok?

For this fish, I can’t tell you what direction to go; if the rapid breathing is caused by a secondary bacterial infection, then antibiotics would be the way to go. However if the rapid breathing isn’t related to the mouth injury, there could be a protozoan infection going on at the same time as the mouth injury.
Jay
Everyone else in the tank is eating and acting normal. I'm at a loss as what to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone else in the tank is eating and acting normal. I'm at a loss as what to do.
Same here - I don’t have a definitive direction for you to go and I don’t like to guess at things. If all of the other fish are ok, it is less likely to be a protozoan gill disease, so antibiotics in a treatment tank would be an option.
Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here - I don’t have a definitive direction for you to go and I don’t like to guess at things. If all of the other fish are ok, it is less likely to be a protozoan gill disease, so antibiotics in a treatment tank would be an option.
Jay
Sadly he didn't make it. He died this afternoon. Thanks for the help

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back