Something is wrong with my sump‍♀️

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by SSGTLA, Jun 9, 2019 at 10:54 PM.

1. SSGTLA

SSGTLA Member

HELP! Ok, I’m new to saltwater tanks...ok let me back up, I have had a 30ga FOWLR tank for over a year with a HOB filter. In Feb my DH bought me a 120ga complete setup, cabinet & everything. The aquarium shop came and set it all up for me. I currently have 12 small fish & 1 small green Haddon carpet anemone. I put new filter socks in my sump 2 days ago, and on the left side where the both returns bring the water into the sump thru the socks for filtration, it looks like it could almost overflow. The water is sitting on the top of the sock, not going down thru the sock. So weird! HELP! I turned down the flow to decrease the amount of water being returned, but it didn’t help. DH isn’t home, but then again he knows NOTHING about my hobby, bless him....but I cannot to to bed without fear of waking up to a catastrophe!

2. tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer Well-Known Member

Take the sock out before bed. Perhaps the socks are too thick or clogged?

SSGTLA and Style185 like this.
  3. Style185

Style185 Member

Too be honest I prefer a mesh bag (like a delicate laundry bag) filled with polly fill. Clean it every other day. Socks clog n exactly what you said over flow n there for are not working.

SSGTLA likes this.
  4. BadFish619

BadFish619 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Socks are just clogged from detritus. You'll have to clean them out and put them back on. You have a lot of waste with 12 fish they get dirty fast

SSGTLA likes this.
  5. SSGTLA

SSGTLA Member

Thanks everyone! These were 2 brand new socks that had been rinsed properly prior to being put into my sump. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me what was happening, it just didn’t make sense, they are only 2 days in so far. Being “new” to the operation of the sump and additional equipment kind of threw me for a loop. All I could see was potential water damage, imagine that, and what did I do? PANIC!!! I pulled these socks and replaced them with some of my older socks that had been cleaned and put away until I needed them, as I have 6 sets of 300 micron bags that I rotate. After resolving my issue, I remember that today I did a 20% water change, cleaned my glass, & vacuumed the sand bed. No wonder they were clogged like concrete!

6. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Valuable Member

I am just trying to figure out what a "DH" is..... designated hitter obviously......

scooter24, clm65 and GThompson like this.
  7. SSGTLA

SSGTLA Member

DH - Dear/Darling Husband
    LOL....Designated Hitter....LOL

8. Shawna Solomon

Shawna Solomon Member

I have a 125 I have to change my socks every 2 to 3 days.

9. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

I stopped using socks all together a month ago because they clogged and overflowed my sump. Fortunately my sump is in my basement and is in a 4" trough that caught all the overflow. After that I said forget it and removed them.

Style185 likes this.
  10. clm65

clm65 Active Member R2R Supporter

I’m glad you asked this question, as I had an entirely different, and certainly less politically correct, guess at what it meant....

11. lapin

lapin Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award

A properly designed sump should have a overflow for the sock chamber. If they should clog, the water can overflow into the next chamber. I change my tank socks every 2 days. Most times I'm barefoot'n it. But there is nothing like a new fresh pair of new socks.

12. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Valuable Member

One of the reasons I went with the sump I did, was the ease of replacing the socks (3) and if I choose to skip it (get lazy on replacing socks) the heavier gunk and stuff that goes through the overflow may still settle into the sock if they are clogged/full, but the sump will run fine with new, clogged, or no socks at all

Draft saved Draft deleted