Something is wrong with my sump‍♀️

SSGTLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! Ok, I’m new to saltwater tanks...ok let me back up, I have had a 30ga FOWLR tank for over a year with a HOB filter. In Feb my DH bought me a 120ga complete setup, cabinet & everything. The aquarium shop came and set it all up for me. I currently have 12 small fish & 1 small green Haddon carpet anemone. I put new filter socks in my sump 2 days ago, and on the left side where the both returns bring the water into the sump thru the socks for filtration, it looks like it could almost overflow. The water is sitting on the top of the sock, not going down thru the sock. So weird! HELP! I turned down the flow to decrease the amount of water being returned, but it didn’t help. DH isn’t home, but then again he knows NOTHING about my hobby, bless him....but I cannot to to bed without fear of waking up to a catastrophe!

Style185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too be honest I prefer a mesh bag (like a delicate laundry bag) filled with polly fill. Clean it every other day. Socks clog n exactly what you said over flow n there for are not working.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Socks are just clogged from detritus. You'll have to clean them out and put them back on. You have a lot of waste with 12 fish they get dirty fast

OP
OP
S

SSGTLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! These were 2 brand new socks that had been rinsed properly prior to being put into my sump. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me what was happening, it just didn’t make sense, they are only 2 days in so far. Being “new” to the operation of the sump and additional equipment kind of threw me for a loop. All I could see was potential water damage, imagine that, and what did I do? PANIC!!! I pulled these socks and replaced them with some of my older socks that had been cleaned and put away until I needed them, as I have 6 sets of 300 micron bags that I rotate. After resolving my issue, I remember that today I did a 20% water change, cleaned my glass, & vacuumed the sand bed. No wonder they were clogged like concrete!

OP
OP
S

SSGTLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DH - Dear/Darling Husband
LOL....Designated Hitter....LOL

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using socks all together a month ago because they clogged and overflowed my sump. Fortunately my sump is in my basement and is in a 4" trough that caught all the overflow. After that I said forget it and removed them.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just trying to figure out what a "DH" is..... designated hitter obviously......

I’m glad you asked this question, as I had an entirely different, and certainly less politically correct, guess at what it meant....

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly designed sump should have a overflow for the sock chamber. If they should clog, the water can overflow into the next chamber. I change my tank socks every 2 days. Most times I'm barefoot'n it. But there is nothing like a new fresh pair of new socks.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I went with the sump I did, was the ease of replacing the socks (3) and if I choose to skip it (get lazy on replacing socks) the heavier gunk and stuff that goes through the overflow may still settle into the sock if they are clogged/full, but the sump will run fine with new, clogged, or no socks at all

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back