Something killing my fish

Grizzly Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my aquariums is a 165G mixed reef with very healthy inhabitant, set up for nearly 3 years. I have had a Sailfin Tang, Mandarin goby, cleaner wrasse, and most recently a yellow mimic tang mysteriously dye of something. All these fish where seemingly very health eating well until they start acting like they have some neurological problem then dye hours later. It only happens to one fish at a time and each is months apart. I need help to diagnose and treat before I lose any more fish. Any thoughts??

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my aquariums is a 165G mixed reef with very healthy inhabitant, set up for nearly 3 years. I have had a Sailfin Tang, Mandarin goby, cleaner wrasse, and most recently a yellow mimic tang mysteriously dye of something. All these fish where seemingly very health eating well until they start acting like they have some neurological problem then dye hours later. It only happens to one fish at a time and each is months apart. I need help to diagnose and treat before I lose any more fish. Any thoughts??
I had something similar happen from day one of my tank basically many people tried diagnosing it on here but only until about 10 months later and about 4 different treatments I figured out it was velvet or something similar so I set up a QT and put all my fish in it. While none survived and my tank remained empty for 3+ months and after fish were put in QT for 1 month I added them and for the past 2+ months I haven’t had a problem

I don’t know if this is your problem but ik I had something VERY similar actually almost the SAME happen to me and that was my solution. I could have done it without the help of R2R though we eventually figured it out and I hope u do too!

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Neurological do you mean fish having a sudden freak out? Suddenly bolting across the tank? Looking like they just took a shot of whiskey or got spooked from behind?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with all the other info that the previous posts have asked for:

When is the last time you did a water change?
How often and how much do you change?

OP
OP
G

Grizzly Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses. My Parameters are Temp 79*, PH 8.2, KH 7, No Nitrite, 0 nitrate, Salt 1.025, Phosphate 0.25, and no detectable Ammonia. I do 90 gal water change every 2 weeks. The neurological issue is describer as almost paralysis. The fish dies looking otherwise very healthy. no weight loss or marks on body. Almost as if it where poisoned. Please keep in mind I have lots of healthy coral and other fish. It happens very infrequent, I just don't want to loose any more fish. Please help

OP
OP
G

Grizzly Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their eyes are vey clear and alert, stay swim in slow circles ar find somewhere to lay until they die. Again Physically they look very healthy other than that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back