Somethings wiping out my fish, and it ain’t ich.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so for the past few weeks, I’ve been battling what seemed like ich. I lost my sharknose goby, who has an ongoing ich problem. Everything else seemed okay.
Then the royal gramma died. It was not ich. I thought velvet or brook, until it started to lose eyesight, swim sideways, and hide all the time. His condition went haywire very quickly. I think he had a case of eye flukes.
Anyway, I then freshwater dipped the clown, since he didn’t look 100% okay either, and the fire fish is completely fine. I have a QT tank set up and have plans to transfer the remaining fish in a few days (I want to make sure the new water is stable and everything is fine). I don’t think Nemo will survive though. He looked alright up until today. Today, he is losing his color on his stripes and has stopped eating. He is also breathing heavily.
I am in much distress as it seems like my tank went down very fast, and it feels like the fish are displaying every parasite symptom possible. I don’t even know what to treat for. I put a lot of time and effort into these fish, and am hating to see them die one after another. Any thoughts? What should my process of moving the fish (likely just the firefish) into quarantine?
I’ll probably put the rest of my planned coral and cuc then leave the tank fallow for at least three months, so my fish can go home to a healthy, established tank. I also plan to quarantine any new fish I purchase for at least two weeks.
Sorry for the long post, the last week and a half for this aquarium has been such a headache....;Drowning

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I’m battling multiple things at once. The goby died of ich, the firefish was infected but fought it off (it probably already has an immunity, likely being wild-caught), then the gramma got what looked like brook, went blind, then died. The clown then got popeye and ich, I helped him, and then he started to look better, until now. The only fish I think will survive is the firefish, because he is still swimming normally, eating, and darting around.
It’s a shame. Nemo and the firefish were my first fish in the tank and they always swim together like best friends. But, I guess this will be that bump in the road I was warned about. I’ll just have to do right by the firefish when I QT him.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B05F358-7DBE-4ECE-8DDC-4C238FE50FDE.jpeg
Here is a pic of nemo. The pic isn’t that great. It looks a lot worse in person....
I’d like to say he has a fighting chance but something tells me he’ll have a similar fate as my basslet.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say cryptocaryon irritans.

For decades the best ectoparasite medicine for fish has been quinine, of which chloroquine phosphate is the current favorite form.

Thanks to COVID we can’t get it, due to the FDA making it near impossible.

Very sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is this morning he looked pretty okay and now he’s more a mess of fuzzy coating than an actual fish.
:eek:Not Nemo!!!:eek:

JessenD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ammonia levels, high ammonia can wipe sifters out first and leaves fish with white bumps as well as skin flaking that can be mistaken as brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on brooklynella and velvet.
Start with a water change and give fish freshwater dip. You may have to resort to a quarantine tank and treat with formalin based medication to start with

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, the fishkeeping part of this tank was fun while it lasted. I have a qt ready, but it just needs water and bacteria, so a day or so to be good. I regret to say that Nemo seems beyond repair. The firefish, however, is a real fighter, and hasn’t been affected both with and without the spots. Granted, I thought the same thing with Nemo a few days ago, and same with the basslet too. Whatever is killing my fish, it’s the nastiest thing I’ve seen in all my years of Fishkeeping. Thank you all for your input, and all I know is I’m in for one fun ride....
I really grew more attached to these four fish than any other fish I’ve kept. They each had a unique personality that I really grew fond of the past month. I really am hurt to watch them die so fast. ;Sorry

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep fighting man. If Nemo still has some strength, give him a freshwater dip, and get him in to QT fast. Is he eating?
I know it's counter inuitative, but I'd use water from the main tank, and a rock into the QT. Then, start medcating. It's ugly and not ideal, but it'll get both bacteria in and the fish out of the DT for medication. Then start doing daily water changes, with MICROBACTER7 after each water change.

Do this quickly, and you may have a chance. As long as he has some strength at least.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time..why isn't the DT ready? It's been like a month...I'm ragging on you now...but for real?
I’ll admit I haven’t had the tank in my priority the past few weeks, with many other things taking precedence. I have been doing things to prepare but haven’t taken enough initiative. I do regret my lack of attention, and am now having more time to focus back on my tank. Unfortunately, I think it’s too late for Nemo, who is not eating. I’m sad about my lack of taking action, though.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's not eating, I'm sorry to tell you that's probably it. Your last bet is to do what I said. Because he's gonna die either way. It's your last chance.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be able to save the firefish at least. He’s still pretty normal and I have the medication on it’s way. Unfortunately things have been running slow with the delivery services.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish is still doing great but I’m not optimistic it will stay that way. Finally got proper filtration and am waiting on medicine. Will the shock of the transfer kill the firefish? How should I do this? The tank will be a 10g with a hang on back carbon filter, some pvc pipes, a top fin heater, and an air stone. What should be my qt process, assuming the firefish makes it until I transfer him. Will the lack of nitrifying bacteria kill him, or will frequent water changes for just one fish not be a big deal?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back