Somewhat desperate …here’s what I’ve done

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…back history, I’ve had a couple of severe alkalinity swings in the last couple of weeks. Normally run 8 to 8.5 but due to timer failure it’s gone up to 15. I let it drop down naturally back to 7.5 over several days. But the results have been severe…so far I’ve lost at least three acros and now my alveopora (which I’ve had for several years) is gone and my red Goni and glitter goni are starting to be affected. Since the dying Goni skeleton appears to have a jelly-like appearance I’ve decided to try the cipro full tank treatment at 0.125 mg per liter. Hoping it will help..not sure if it could be BJD caused by stress. In the meantime I’ve ordered the jabeo 3 doser and praying to the reef gods that this will solve the problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So…back history, I’ve had a couple of severe alkalinity swings in the last couple of weeks. Normally run 8 to 8.5 but due to timer failure it’s gone up to 15. I let it drop down naturally back to 7.5 over several days. But the results have been severe…so far I’ve lost at least three acros and now my alveopora (which I’ve had for several years) is gone and my red Goni and glitter goni are starting to be affected. Since the dying Goni skeleton appears to have a jelly-like appearance I’ve decided to try the cipro full tank treatment at 0.125 mg per liter. Hoping it will help..not sure if it could be BJD caused by stress. In the meantime I’ve ordered the jabeo 3 doser and praying to the reef gods that this will solve the problem.
Cipro will do nothing and for the record, you cant keep adding ingredients which is known as Chasing.
Once the alk reached 7.5, you wanted to do a good water change and level the numbers back out. With it getting that high, youre lucky 3 corals were affected and have a possibility to come back BUT only if conditions are Stable.
Goni is already a very sensitive coral and with jelly , you can siphon up the mass with 3/8" tubing and allow it to heal if it will.
With goni, if youre giving it too much flow, it may kill some of the tissue and cause an issue with the rest of the colony. And Goni must have aminos and most of its energy from light. Too much light however will bleach it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks vetteguy…you’ve been so helpful to me in the past and many of your suggestions are still things I go by today! If the cipro I added wont do any good at least I hope it won’t be harmful. I’ve had success with cipro and BJD in the past, so I was hoping for the best.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back