Soooo New ...I need advice with my brand new aquarium

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Follow what Crabs said. And to add, check out Dr Tim’s fishless cycle ammonia to get things kickstarted. Gone are the days (I hope) with using fish (damsels) to cycle a new tank.
Good luck!
I agree and welcome to R2R!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard!!!

ahab-peck.jpg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I add some of the bacteria I have? I have literally added nothing except water live rock and sand

im not convinced that the bacteria is what set up the tank so fast. I honestly think it was the live rock. I got from a store that’s about 10 minutes from my house. They have about 6 giant troughs of love rock that waterfall into each other, so it must have already had tons of good bacteria in it. But I’d be remisced if I didn’t make the point that I used bacteria too. It may have been a combination of things that made mine cycle so fast. Or perhaps one out weighed the rest. the bacteria will colonize naturally either way. My main point is that there’s not a set timeline. It could be 2 days or it could be 2 months. The end point is nitrates and 0 ammonia and nitrites even with addition of an ammonia source

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r gary!

I started with live rock too and was rather unsure how to start as the lfs told me to cycle but got conflicting info here. Basically if you truely have live rock, theres no need to cycle. As the bacteria that nitrifies the ammonia that the fish excrete are already present. If there is no bacteria then you have to cycle to create that bacteria, which takes 30 days. And if you add fish before its cycled, they will dienof ammonia poisoning. So as others have said, abd to be safe, and sure, dose asmall amount of amonia and food, and with all your testing you never see any ammonia or nitrites but see nitrate then your ready to add live stock. But start slowly. Only add a few critters as you dont know how much bacteria you have or how much bio load your new tank can support.

But welcome to the hobby and r2r. This place will get you itching to make your tank everything youve ever dreamed of! Its just so dang hard to patient...

FB_IMG_1569941470050.jpg

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r gary!

I started with live rock too and was rather unsure how to start as the lfs told me to cycle but got conflicting info here. Basically if you truely have live rock, theres no need to cycle. As the bacteria that nitrifies the ammonia that the fish excrete are already present. If there is no bacteria then you have to cycle to create that bacteria, which takes 30 days. And if you add fish before its cycled, they will dienof ammonia poisoning. So as others have said, abd to be safe, and sure, dose asmall amount of amonia and food, and with all your testing you never see any ammonia or nitrites but see nitrate then your ready to add live stock. But start slowly. Only add a few critters as you dont know how much bacteria you have or how much bio load your new tank can support.

But welcome to the hobby and r2r. This place will get you itching to make your tank everything youve ever dreamed of! Its just so dang hard to patient...

FB_IMG_1569941470050.jpg
Thanks Goose

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bacter 7 (Brightwell) every 2-3 days and fed 1x per week testing 24 hrs after feeding.
Do expect ugly stages with Algae, cyanobacteria and diatoms which is brown film. All part of new tank establishment

welcome57.jpg
And ugly tank syndrome can last a while, don't get disappointed or rush things. Oh and Welcome to R2R.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back