Sorta Kinda Retired & thinking of Reefing

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. In reefing it’s water parameters and qt, everything else will take care of itself. Do keep in mind that unlike soil, reef systems are inherently unstable so you will need some/ a lot of automation to keep things stable when you are on vacation or out of town.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

spockwelcome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whole better world. You will wonder why you waited so long.

welcome59.jpg

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off welcome and my dad retired and he says I’m watching the grass grow... I’ve been trying to get him to do something this hobby Willy keep you busy and at least you can say I’m watching my corals grow lol

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a relatively new reefer myself, my advice is to get what you want up front. It’s far cheaper to spend money on solid equipment then to purchase multiple things to only replace it. That said, I do believe this hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be. Nobody forces you to buy a $100 frag or a $400 fish that’s a color morph of a $20 clown. Excercise patienc.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! This is an amazing hobby and you can't really choose a " wrong " tank per say when starting a reef tank, each will just have different needs. Like you, I over analyze everything and find it great in this hobby. It keeps me mentally challenged with all the learning and thinking involved, I love it.

Jokingly, you might not be semi retired for long if you start a reef tank ;):p .

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!
You seem to have a great mindset for reefing imo. Your on here asking questions before buying anything so your already starting better than most ;)
As far as tank size goes, a 120 can be a great place to start. The advice I will offer were most people have issues starting out, is to have some stocking ideas. When most of us start out reefing we buy lots of things that look cool but don't necessarily cohabitate well. The best advice I can give is to look at pictures others have posted here and on other reef sites. Choose a few things you really like the look of as your stock goal weather it's fish, coral, or other inverts. Once you choose a few things you can research others that will cohabitate well and size the tank and other equipment to the prospective stock.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back