Sound Off: How many of you get frustrated with snails?

Do you have problems keeping snails in your tank for long periods of time for one reason or another?

• Yes

Votes: 149 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 229 60.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously what's the secret here?

I'll buy a bunch of super healthy snails and a month later all I see are mostly shells and snails on their way out! I've bought from various places and the story seems the same. Maybe I have something eating them? I don't think so but maybe the flame hawkfish is picking them off. Haven't seen him though and that's the only fish in question. Maybe I'm not feeding the tank enough and with my multiple tangs the algae stays pretty much at zero issues.

Would love to hear from you!

Do you have issues with keeping snails for a long period of time?

How often do you buy snails?

What's your experience?

22JUN14_TurboSnail_Invrt_001.jpg

image via @Pacific Island Aquatics

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think there is much of a secret here. Seems most snails are preyed upon or starve to death. Given the type of snails and the available food source the circumstances vary. Certain snails such as margarita snails prefer cooler temps. So the environment and age of a tank play roll as well. Personally I order a large batch of snails/inverts about once a year to replenish any that may have perished or were attacked by my wrasses/angels.​

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this is your problem, but a problem that seems to be pretty widespread is overstocking. The suggestions of 100 snails in a 100 gallon tank is crazy. I have maybe 6 in my 112 gallon and no algae issues.

Likely they are starving if the tank is clean, or they were just barely hanging on when you got them and already on their way out. Another common problem is stray current, they are one of if not the first thing to be effected by this. The ones that can't right themselves somehow survive in the ocean, but if they flip in our tanks they are done. Also most of these snails don't have a particularly long life span. So you may just be getting old snails. I have the opposite problem. I've got one mexcian turbo who's gotta be pushing 5+ years in my tank, maybe more who long ago wiped out the algae he was brought in to eat and now just knocks over corals.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because people buy too many snails with the expectation that they’ll completely remove every trace of algae in the tank. The problem is, if you have that many snails and they clean the tank to that degree, they’ll have trouble finding anything to eat and will starve. Algae control should be accomplished by maintaining water quality and not livestock. For reference, I have 3 trochus and 1 mexican turbo snail in my 100 gallon. I also run chaeto in my sump. I have zero visible nuisance algae in my display. Yet there’s enough visibly undetectable, slow growing algae for those four snails to continually graze on and stay healthy.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits keep eating mine. Have to buy 6-12 every few months to keep it stocked. I notice the algae starts to build up faster after so many die off so I get more. Normally when stocked I can go 2-3 days without scrubbing the glass. When they start to get sparse I have to do at least once a day

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a variety? Perhaps some will like your tank more than others. Trochus seem to love my tank and spawn regularly. I find them in my sump every few months.
20181201_162232.jpg
20180826_160059.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from clean up crew 'kits' or packages. Buy select varieties of snails, ones that are known to eat the stuff you're trying to get rid of, when you have a need, in a quantity that isn't going to immediatly destroy the food supply you're buying them to consume. Adding 100+ snails is never the correct response. Never.

The common situation I see is this: You've got a system with some algae growth. Go buy 40 graizing snails. Snails consume the minimal algae available, and die, due to lack of food. No more graizers, so the algae comes back... not to mention the nutrient bloom you've got from 40 dead snails making the initial problem worse.

Got algae? Fine. Get a couple graizing snails. Let things get settle for a month or so, and reevaluate. Need more? Great! Just MOVE SLOW.

Also, in my experience, hermits are snail killers. I don't buy hermits anymore. Snails are MUCH better at consuming algae than the hermits are, and without hermits, I rarely loose a snail.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had trouble with keeping snails alive, but it seems to be very hit-and-miss. I had one turbo in my tank for 3+ years, and another that died in six weeks. Trochus usually die after a month or two, but sometimes they'll last forever. Same with all the species... trochus, astrea, cerith, turbo.

I do have hermits, after having sworn them off years ago... and once the current crop is gone, I'll be swearing them off again. They've never seemed to pull their own weight, and I seem to spend more time fending them away from freshly-fed corals than anything else. If I need scavengers to consume uneaten food and detritus, there are better options than hermits.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail problems I see are; They die as soon as you get them. They get preyed upon if you have crabs and certain fish. You get the wrong kind for what you want them to do. You get way too many and most starve.
I have about 25% of what I started with a year ago.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits look like they work on the algae a little... They definitely work on the snails. :/

Last edited:

Dodgersallday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously what's the secret here?

I'll buy a bunch of super healthy snails and a month later all I see are mostly shells and snails on their way out! I've bought from various places and the story seems the same. Maybe I have something eating them? I don't think so but maybe the flame hawkfish is picking them off. Haven't seen him though and that's the only fish in question. Maybe I'm not feeding the tank enough and with my multiple tangs the algae stays pretty much at zero issues.

Would love to hear from you!

Do you have issues with keeping snails for a long period of time?

How often do you buy snails?

What's your experience?

22JUN14_TurboSnail_Invrt_001.jpg

image via @Pacific Island Aquatics

I only buy turbos. They get huge and never cause any problems

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy trochus and turbo, because if they can’t flip over they become my puffers next meal. Although I will help if I see them.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 29 that no longer is with us, I went through tons of snails and crabs never knowing why. Finally, one day I caught my female clown (her over there to the left) hunting them down, knocking them upside down, then getting a good healthy bite and then proceeding to shake the snail until it came out of its shell, then beat it on the rock until dead. So much for a cleanup crew. More like mortuary crew. At least the bristle worms were healthy...

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Banded trochus( not the ones live aquaria sells those are worthless) are your best bet , if you have sand , some cerith and nassarius . I bought 10 trochus for a red sea reefer 750 and they have spawned too many times already . After lights out other day I counted 52 from a grain of rice size to almost adult size . Going to rehome a bunch so they dont starve

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back