Sound off: What are you dealing with? Maybe someone can help!

Are you currently facing issues in your tank? Tell us why in the thread!

• Yes

Votes: 119 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 28.7%
  • Always something

Votes: 77 28.0%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My GSP’s polyps are going from bright green to brown is it a placement issue?

Combo of light and water flow. They require a small amount if iron for color and growth

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are you dealing with? Maybe someone can help!

I am building a new SCA 180 gallon reef.
I am dealing with not being able to figure out how to mount my lights into the canopy.
20190314_195128.jpg
20190314_195346.jpg
20190314_195227.jpg

I have three Oceanrevive T-247's and two Viparspectras that I need to mount into this canopy.
Really could use some help with this.
Glass insert for support and full exposure of lights

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are some form of diatom that feed off silicates and phosphate. I didn’t know my RO/DI filters were due for replacing and I did a couple water changes with 4-7 TDS RO water. Nitrates are 0, phosphate is 0.144 ppm. Was successfully coming down using my mini reactor with rowaphos in it but then spiked again when I started feeding the coral once or twice a week. I think if I can bring my phosphates down I’ll be able to starve it out but my corals look incredible and are noticeably growing, and everything has been stable so I don’t want to make any abrupt changes here. Have also had trouble getting a positive ID on whatever it is. Debating letting it take its course. Looks ugly but isn’t hurting anything. I just want to get my phosphates down without upsetting anything. Ordered new RO/DI filters, hoping a few water changes with silicate free water will help too. Appreciate any advice!

C38E8B9D-8C19-45AD-957C-8AB7FAEEBE41.jpeg
7285E8FF-BA87-4A8C-ABB6-81D44E8E067D.jpeg
6F9C532A-B235-4154-8A2E-211DC984EE7A.jpeg

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if my button is all good. I got 2 from a guy and this one there seems to be a hole in the mouth. Not sure what it is. I circled where it’s at. Kinda hard to tell in the picture

69B9A2AB-E7C5-4F3B-B2CE-E322EFEF4E34.jpeg

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask, why did you remove UV? And how long did you keep it on? Thank you
I installed a UV to help the tank when it got a case of cyano about 4 months ago. Last month I decided to forget what I know and go back to the basics - because the tank wasn't where I wanted it to be. I feel my UV light may have been killing beneficial bacteria keeping my coral from being 100%. Not sure if that was what did it but they look happier than ever now.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dealing with? Maybe someone can help!

I am building a new SCA 180 gallon reef.
I am dealing with not being able to figure out how to mount my lights into the canopy.
20190314_195128.jpg
20190314_195346.jpg
20190314_195227.jpg

I have three Oceanrevive T-247's and two Viparspectras that I need to mount into this canopy.
Really could use some help with this.
direct PM "Slief" on R2R. he has dome some installs like that and i'll bet he would have a solution.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a vast amount of acropora due to my stupidity and my job sucking my life up. Been slowly switching over to softies as I hardly see anyone do this style of tank anymore

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly disease, which has to be one of the worst diseases ive ever came across in 10 years of fish keeping, its heartbreaking just watching corals slowly die over the last 8 months with nothing i can really do as everything ive tried doesnt work, definitely my failt however as i never dipped new corals

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new tank ugly stage going on. Got brown and green algae growing like crazy. If I dont clean the glass or stir the top of the sand daily the GHA starts growing like nuts. Also been having to remove my snails to remove the GHA from their shells and give them a good scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are some form of diatom that feed off silicates and phosphate. I didn’t know my RO/DI filters were due for replacing and I did a couple water changes with 4-7 TDS RO water. Nitrates are 0, phosphate is 0.144 ppm. Was successfully coming down using my mini reactor with rowaphos in it but then spiked again when I started feeding the coral once or twice a week. I think if I can bring my phosphates down I’ll be able to starve it out but my corals look incredible and are noticeably growing, and everything has been stable so I don’t want to make any abrupt changes here. Have also had trouble getting a positive ID on whatever it is. Debating letting it take its course. Looks ugly but isn’t hurting anything. I just want to get my phosphates down without upsetting anything. Ordered new RO/DI filters, hoping a few water changes with silicate free water will help too. Appreciate any advice!

C38E8B9D-8C19-45AD-957C-8AB7FAEEBE41.jpeg
7285E8FF-BA87-4A8C-ABB6-81D44E8E067D.jpeg
6F9C532A-B235-4154-8A2E-211DC984EE7A.jpeg

I had the same thing happen when I didn't realize i had to change out the sediment and carbon filters on my RO/DI more often. Once i changed them and started using good RO/DI, it slowly went away but I did rip off the algae as much as I could manually every other day.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new tank ugly stage going on. Got brown and green algae growing like crazy. If I dont clean the glass or stir the top of the sand daily the GHA starts growing like nuts. Also been having to remove my snails to remove the GHA from their shells and give them a good scrubbing with a toothbrush.
I'm right there with you. The snails seem to enjoy it. Hermits, not so much...

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the position to get my big (to me) display up and running and I’m so scared. Scared of leaks, fires, nuisance algae’s...everything. My 29 has been running for 6 months without many issues so I feel like I got lucky and karma is waiting for my big tank.

I have a pretty nice set up, I’ve taken over the whole basement. I had a water line run to the basement for dedicated rodi hook up. I cut a hole in my wall you guys...so I can access the sump from the back of the tank. I had extra outlets put in for all the equipment. I have gcfi’s and powerstrips with internal breakers and timers and I’m just terrified something bad is going to happen. I have the space and equipment (minus plumbing) to set up a water station.

I’m going to a frag swap tomorrow and I was supposed to have this tank ready well before the swap and it’s still dry...

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM?!

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tank is only 3 months in and I’m pretty sure I have Bryopsis. Feathery rooted algae. Debating on waiting to see if it burns out or takes over. Only 2 fish in tank, no coral and a decent cuc. Should I wait this out and see what happens, or should I use fluconazol now? Tank is 180g with 75 sump. Still temporary lights as I refab some t-5’s into the old aqualight but I did get my screen tops made. Only took 2 fish carpet surfing to convince me that I can’t fight chance. Coralline algae is starting all over on rocks and glass so excited about that.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tank is only 3 months in and I’m pretty sure I have Bryopsis. Feathery rooted algae. Debating on waiting to see if it burns out or takes over. Only 2 fish in tank, no coral and a decent cuc. Should I wait this out and see what happens, or should I use fluconazol now? Tank is 180g with 75 sump. Still temporary lights as I refab some t-5’s into the old aqualight but I did get my screen tops made. Only took 2 fish carpet surfing to convince me that I can’t fight chance. Coralline algae is starting all over on rocks and glass so excited about that.
I had great success with ReefFlux. Knocked my bryopsis right out. I caught it pretty early too.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time finding a light for a pico tank that can grow sps and isn't a par38 bulb

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen when I didn't realize i had to change out the sediment and carbon filters on my RO/DI more often. Once i changed them and started using good RO/DI, it slowly went away but I did rip off the algae as much as I could manually every other day.

Yeah I’m letting it get long enough that I can rip more of it out by hand. But it’s not an algae, it’s some type of bacterial bloom/diatom caused by excess silicates and phosphate from what I’ve gathered. It would be great to be able to definitively ID it and hear how others have treated it. Even with no feeding or minimal feeding, my phosphates haven’t come down below .1 yet because I’ve been cautious not to make any drastic changes. I’ve scoured R2R and found plenty that looks similar but nothing exact and no positive ID. Maybe one of our most trusted sources on here @Randy Holmes-Farley has seen it and can chime in.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m letting it get long enough that I can rip more of it out by hand. But it’s not an algae, it’s some type of bacterial bloom/diatom caused by excess silicates and phosphate from what I’ve gathered. It would be great to be able to definitively ID it and hear how others have treated it. Even with no feeding or minimal feeding, my phosphates haven’t come down below .1 yet because I’ve been cautious not to make any drastic changes. I’ve scoured R2R and found plenty that looks similar but nothing exact and no positive ID. Maybe one of our most trusted sources on here @Randy Holmes-Farley has seen it and can chime in.

If you can search my posts. I posted some pics. I don’t know what it was and never got an id but it looked like Chewbacca died in my tank. Long hairy slimy brown stuff. I’m convinced it was my rodi top off water that caused it.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing.
I’m dosing Kalk but don’t understand how much to adjust the dosing amount to stabilize the calcium and alkalinity. Is there a way to calculate this?

Back