South east wyoming reefers

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Looking to get a thread of reefers in the southeast area of Wyoming! Laramie/Cheyenne region! I've only been here about 3 months so I havent ventured out very far.
About me:
Starting my upgraded tank from a 16 gallon biocube to a 29 gallon.
29 gallon freshwater too.

Looking forward to hopefully finding some more reefers in the area

Last edited by a moderator:

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I was reading the following post and decided to look for reef clubs or forums in Cheyenne area and came across your post.
"I spent many years in CO. Lots of good reef people there. Join a local forum in Ft. Colins and get all those easy sps frags for free. Should never have to pay for that stuff."
So how is your aquarium doing? My wife and I are new to the hobby also. We set up a 55gl. salt tank 10/2019. Its been a great experience, loving it. Have had some issues but things are going well now. Sucks that all we have for a LFS is Petco. We would like to meet other people in our area the are into Reefing.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I was reading the following post and decided to look for reef clubs or forums in Cheyenne area and came across your post.
"I spent many years in CO. Lots of good reef people there. Join a local forum in Ft. Colins and get all those easy sps frags for free. Should never have to pay for that stuff."
So how is your aquarium doing? My wife and I are new to the hobby also. We set up a 55gl. salt tank 10/2019. Its been a great experience, loving it. Have had some issues but things are going well now. Sucks that all we have for a LFS is Petco. We would like to meet other people in our area the are into Reefing.
Awesome to see some people closer to me! I've met someone in Casper and that's about as close as I got. That'd good advice, I'll definitely be looking into some of those forums. Any in particular that you recommend? My tank is off to a little bit of a rough start. I essentially started over with a little bit of live rock and sand I had left from my tank that simply just didnt survive my move from California. I upgraded to a 29 gallon from a 16 gallon since I had to start over anyways, made sense to me to take the opportunity to upgrade. I have a build thread going but it isnt super exciting haha. At this point it's just for me to see the progress on my tank. I would love to have closer to a 50 gallon tank some day! Definitely a struggle with petco as the lfs. They will order just about any fish for you.. in theory! I've been requesting for a fire goby to be ordered but they still havent shown up. Maybe I need to call and make as formal request.

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, Thank you for the reply. Life is good and the tank is rocking. Just added a mushroom and an acan. We get all of our saltwater livestock from The Fish Crew in Fort Collins. Great store with a lot of knowledge. We will get our freshwater fish from Petco but that is it.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother goes to college at UW and has a 32g BioCube. Would be cool if you two could chat.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, Thank you for the reply. Life is good and the tank is rocking. Just added a mushroom and an acan. We get all of our saltwater livestock from The Fish Crew in Fort Collins. Great store with a lot of knowledge. We will get our freshwater fish from Petco but that is it.
I've been to the fish crew once, and it was pretty good. I just visited elite aquatics (I believe it was called, in Denver) most of the tanks were nice, though I didnt get anything since the tank I wanted stuff from had quite a bit of aiptasia. I dont want to fight that fight again! Heading back to Denver tomorrow so maybe I'll try another store down there.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys have in your tanks so far? I still have only one fish and it's been hard to find my second fish to add since the fish selection is so sparse. I've got a standard 29 gallon and have been tempted to put a baby coral beauty in but I think it could be a recipe for disaster. Let me know what you guys think. I saw a 1" or so CB at petco recently. Though I'm not sure if they still have it or not. But I'm looking at a bengaii cardinal, fire fish (for some reason this fish has been hard to find) and am suddenly on the fence since it can be so skidding. A pair of clowns, and royal gramma.
If I dont add a CB, i was thinking about adding a blue green chromis. Anyone have one in their tanks? I havent quarantined any fish yet since I never had set myself up for it but since the chromis seems to be notorious for bringing in diseases, I figured I will try my hand.
Who all quarantines? I still need to do a lot more research on it.

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish: Yellow Tang, 6 Line Wrasse, Stiped Damsel, Clown, Lawnmower Blenny
Coral: Hammer, Red Cap? Monti, Reverse Sunset Monti, some pink maybe Mystic Sunset Monti, Aussie Blasto, Greeen Blasto, Kryptonite Candy Cane, Rasta Zoa, Eagle Eye Zoa, Dragon Eye Zoa, Red Mushroom, Green Toadstool? Mushroom, South Beach Cyphastrea, Green Goni that has been closed for three weeks but still has color, Green Pocillopora, Clover Polyp, Hollywood Stunner, Jasmine Fox, Birds nest, Moon Favia, Green brain Favia, and some sort of Acan
CUC: assorted snails, emerald crabs, assorted hermit crabs.
As far as quarantine currently we do not with fish. We only buy from The Fish Crew who has told me they only buy from a distributor that quarantine all fish before shipment. I know its a gamble but have had more issues with quarantine here at the house.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral: Hammer, Red Cap? Monti, Reverse Sunset Monti, some pink maybe Mystic Sunset Monti, Aussie Blasto, Greeen Blasto, Kryptonite Candy Cane, Rasta Zoa, Eagle Eye Zoa, Dragon Eye Zoa, Red Mushroom, Green Toadstool? Mushroom, South Beach Cyphastrea, Green Goni that has been closed for three weeks but still has color, Green Pocillopora, Clover Polyp, Hollywood Stunner, Jasmine Fox, Birds nest, Moon Favia, Green brain Favia, and some sort of Acan
As far as quarantine currently we do not with fish. We only buy from The Fish Crew who has told me they only buy from a distributor that quarantine all fish before shipment. I know its a gamble but have had more issues with quarantine here at the house.
That's really good to know! Especially since I've been wanting to get a chromis and they are known to carry uronema

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got a great setup going! I'd love to see some pictures of the tank

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested, I've got a biocube 16 that I'm trying to sell. Light scratching that can be buffed out. $150 if anyone is interested or knows anyone who might be.

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got a great setup going! I'd love to see some pictures of the tank
IMG_7523.JPG
IMG_7524.JPG

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are very happy with it, already thinking about the next BIGGER one!
I think every reefer is thinking about the next bigger one! I just saw (just a little too late) that someone gave away a complete reef setup on craigslist. 125 gallon, everything included. So now I'm frequently on the lookout

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this. On craigslist, I saw someone selling a 12.5 gallon with a coral beauty AND a bicolor angel in it... obviously neither of those fish should be in that tank. Is there a way to rescue these fish?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-115853_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-115853_Chrome.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 53

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on this. On craigslist, I saw someone selling a 12.5 gallon with a coral beauty AND a bicolor angel in it... obviously neither of those fish should be in that tank. Is there a way to rescue these fish?
Initial reaction, $999 for a twelve gallon aquarium and a couple fish, what? Then I think about how much I have into my 55. As far as saving the fish, cost analysist, is it worth your time and $ money to drive to Denver for a couple fish you can get at LFS or order on line and do you want a 12gl. Everything is negotiable, make them and offer.
After reading a post on R2R about saving $ buy trading/buy coral on Craigslist I did some searching, wish I would have seen the free 125.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial reaction, $999 for a twelve gallon aquarium and a couple fish, what? Then I think about how much I have into my 55. As far as saving the fish, cost analysist, is it worth your time and $ money to drive to Denver for a couple fish you can get at LFS or order on line and do you want a 12gl. Everything is negotiable, make them and offer.
After reading a post on R2R about saving $ buy trading/buy coral on Craigslist I did some searching, wish I would have seen the free 125.
No, it isnt really worth my time. I thought about asking to just purchase the fish out of it. I don't need another tank right now. I just feel bad for an angelfish being in a 12 gallon. And the coral beauty.
Speaking of fish in tank sizes, I've read mixed reviews about a cb in a 29 gallon tank. What's the thought on that?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back