Species of coral rarely seen in the hobby?

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that place is good. Do they have good feedback? Best way to figure out if they're good is to see if they have a lot of good reviews from people who've bought corals from them.

I bought mine at my LFS. You should buy yours at some place that has a decent price (wouldn't go much over $30 for a small frag, I think), and has good reviews. Or on here, if you can find someone selling it.

"Bump" is what you put in a thread to move the thread up. A thread that has just had a post added to it goes to the top of the forum section it's in. Intentionally moving a thread to the top of a section by making a post that has no other purpose than to move the thread to the top, is called bumping. It should pretty much always be reserved just for sales threads (but only as commonly as is allowed in that area), or for threads with unanswered questions, in hopes of getting more replies.
Oh ok. Thankyou

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@fishguy242 don't you have a blue ridge????
:) 30 yrs still going;)
Has anyone kept this? It’s on live aquaria.
@najer ;):) green tubinaria
WP_20200817_06_10_05_Pro.jpg
V__5CD1.jpg

WP_20201205_14_51_57_Pro.jpg

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol love that this thread is still going , perhaps we should draw up a list of the odd ball corals that are in the hobby that don't get enough love.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one it took me a while to identify. The original in my reef came in as a chip a little bit smaller than 1/4" on some live rock from Vanuatu.
Gardinoseris planulata (https://reefbuilders.com/2014/07/29/gardinoseris/
Not flashy, so not imported all that much... if ever. Here's mine after about 13 years:
dCA3ZvQ.jpg

That said, there are others out there that you will only see if you order a box of coral and it will pop up as a kind of an odd one out. Here's a couple from some Aussie coral boxes in our club order for a frag fest:
Look to the right side of the "pink bubble bum" (Echinophyllia aspera)...
jxXMSCu.jpg

Again, this time with only the blues on:
mUp71vF.jpg

Yes, it has an orange oral opening.
And apologies for a blurry picture of this one with all the lighting on (I was focusing on something else...)
O9JVFom.jpg

But for a clearer blues-only pic:
TUExJGm.jpg

So, keep your eyes open, join a club, hang out with other reef keepers, and find something that catches your eye that you haven't seen all that often. And then ask how to care for it, before you decide to try and keep it. You could even end up with a "pet" psammocora or two (that's the green one on the right):
jmna0nm.jpg

I've got two of these, one on each end of the reef that started from 1/2" chips about 13 years ago...and are now about 12" across each - the pillar-forming variety of long-tentacled psammocora. I've also a branching short-tentacle and an encrusting very short tentacle (it came in as a chip on the Vanuatu rock as well) psammy.

Enjoy,
Ray :cool:

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go, 2 rarest species on the planet. Even if you could keep them, no one would because they're brown.

palmatta1.jpg
I don’t care about color. I want my tank to look like a natural reef! Some people spend thousands of flashy corals. I just want my tank to resemble a natural reef. So where can I get these elk horn?

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one it took me a while to identify. The original in my reef came in as a chip a little bit smaller than 1/4" on some live rock from Vanuatu.
Gardinoseris planulata (https://reefbuilders.com/2014/07/29/gardinoseris/
Not flashy, so not imported all that much... if ever. Here's mine after about 13 years:
dCA3ZvQ.jpg

That said, there are others out there that you will only see if you order a box of coral and it will pop up as a kind of an odd one out. Here's a couple from some Aussie coral boxes in our club order for a frag fest:
Look to the right side of the "pink bubble bum" (Echinophyllia aspera)...
jxXMSCu.jpg

Again, this time with only the blues on:
mUp71vF.jpg

Yes, it has an orange oral opening.
And apologies for a blurry picture of this one with all the lighting on (I was focusing on something else...)
O9JVFom.jpg

But for a clearer blues-only pic:
TUExJGm.jpg

So, keep your eyes open, join a club, hang out with other reef keepers, and find something that catches your eye that you haven't seen all that often. And then ask how to care for it, before you decide to try and keep it. You could even end up with a "pet" psammocora or two (that's the green one on the right):
jmna0nm.jpg

I've got two of these, one on each end of the reef that started from 1/2" chips about 13 years ago...and are now about 12" across each - the pillar-forming variety of long-tentacled psammocora. I've also a branching short-tentacle and an encrusting very short tentacle (it came in as a chip on the Vanuatu rock as well) psammy.

Enjoy,
Ray :cool:
Ok Thankyou.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care about color. I want my tank to look like a natural reef! Some people spend thousands of flashy corals. I just want my tank to resemble a natural reef. So where can I get these elk horn?

Unless you work for a professional institution and have proper permits, you can't. Any caribbean stony coral is illegal to possess.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you work for a professional institution and have proper permits, you can't. Any caribbean stony coral is illegal to possess.
Oh those are Caribbean elks? My bad. I thought they were pacific. I would never take a carribean elk knowing how endangered they are. I like in Florida and care for all the reefs!

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come to think about some of the odd balls named here they're all pretty hardy species its kinda a shame they aren't talked about much.
come to thin of another coral which I dont have and would like to is leptoseris and mancia which finds it way into the hobby occasionally

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 varieties of Turbinaria heronensis, but I've never seen one in anyone's tank.

For softies, check the Stereonepthea threads in the softy forum. Also the previously mentioned Sympodium isn't all that rare but nice.

I have a Lava Coals Diaseris from Live Aquaria- that is certainly unusual. Speaking of LA, if you look in the LPS section of certified aquacultured, there is some cool stuff. Coscinarea, Herpolitha, etc.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back