Species of coral rarely seen in the hobby?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come to think of something should we also add in particular yellow corals to the list they also seem to be fairly uncommon . i would like to see the recovery of your mustard hill porites
I was really disappointed when it did poorly but in hindsight my current tank just wasnt ready for that species. It started to bounce back so I'm gonna give it more attention now. I may be able to get a few frags from it and grow some new colonies.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really disappointed when it did poorly but in hindsight my current tank just wasnt ready for that species. It started to bounce back so I'm gonna give it more attention now. I may be able to get a few frags from it and grow some new colonies.
Id love to see em if you do frag it keep us updated on your progress!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites are also not too common in the trade but extremely common in the wild.
Ahh Porites. It is a pity that there’s low demand for them especially where I am from. It is funny since my country lies in the Indo-Pacific region and the waters are rich in Porites.

It is really hard to find Porites for sale. Even the one I got came as a hitchhiker on a maricultured live rock. When I first bought the rock, it was just a big white creamy patch but within a week it turned from white to brown and then green.

The pictures attached are the frags of the mother colony. Slow growers but resilient and boasts the best PE in my opinion.
60963053-3452-4607-A435-4FCA7FCEFEA1.jpeg

Attachments

• D0477C09-FABC-486F-BFDC-8911FF47AA8E.jpeg
    D0477C09-FABC-486F-BFDC-8911FF47AA8E.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 61

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 pieces about this size off the colony. This one seems the one with the most promise because the polyps are always out. I've been feeding it pretty heavily but it's been a struggle to keep it clean so Im not sure if I will be able to get it to grow. The polyps are neon green they are closed up atm because I blew it with my turkey baster.

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_132138.jpg
    IMG_20210117_132138.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 55

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation with my blue ridge I nuked it pretty badly during a dip trying to kill cyano that too over all of a sudden , so I pretty much just have a booger frag left of what was like a 50 cent piece.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation with my blue ridge I nuked it pretty badly during a dip trying to kill cyano that too over all of a sudden , so I pretty much just have a booger frag left of what was like a 50 cent piece.
I love the way blue ridge coral grow. They aren't to common around me I haven't seen one in years. Sorry for your loss hope he comes back.

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue palm coral. I have only ever seen one once. I honestly know nothing about it.

Attachments

• 52FC0D3D-0FCC-4321-AFF1-4FA85A646318.jpeg
    52FC0D3D-0FCC-4321-AFF1-4FA85A646318.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 74

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sympodiums don't seem to be kept very often. Mine has been easy enough to keep, especially once I started giving it reef roids on a regular basis. Not fast-growing, but that might be helpful.

It's a soft coral. It looks like a tight-clustered clove polyp when open, but the polyps are all growing out of a mat. People mistake them for blue clove polyps and say they're invasive, but they seem to grow pretty slowly.
I have a sympodium. Very pretty clove looking and absolutely slow growing. Dreadfully slow growing lol.

ArtofReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a coral that most people don’t have. A unique, rare, and not very often seen coral species in the hobby. I am not looking for a rare color morph, for example a master scoly, but rather a uncommon species of coral in the hobby. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
What about a croc island scoly

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching Bubble Coral seems I'm the only one who cares for it my LFS takes the trades every now and than

Attachments

• IMAG0805_1[521].jpg
    IMAG0805_1[521].jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 53

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re-consider excluding all acropora bc the genus is common.

Several acro species are quite rare.

That would be like excluding Acan Hillae bc acans are otherwise common in the hobby. For many, a quality hillae is a holy grail piece.

Maybe I missed it but on the NPS tip, I would add Blanos. Idk if they're legal but once in a blue moon they get shipped in mislabelled as a rhizo or dendro

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals rare in the hobby are rare for a reason. Either they are hard to keep, or they are not considered appealing to people. I once had a brown knobby gorgonian I thought was the coolest thing, because it was so different from anything else I ever saw in the hobby, but I couldn't sell it, and I couldn't even give it away. Since I lost it, it is probably gone forever. If I have a favorite Acro, I can always buy another frag if I lose it.

I recently picked up a Koji Wada from Unique corals, and although it is tiny, I am very excited. I actually miss having huge soft corals that dominated my tank before I could afford lights that could grow Acropora. Except tanks like that end up 2 colors (green and tan). I am hoping once it grows out I will be able to sell frags and see it all over Ohio, but I won't be surprised if it ends up being another rare gem that only I care about.

Porites, Montipora, Turbinaria, mushrooms (other than bounce and jawbreaker) all have some interesting varieties that are cheap, hardy, and I don't see much.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals rare in the hobby are rare for a reason. Either they are hard to keep, or they are not considered appealing to people. I once had a brown knobby gorgonian I thought was the coolest thing, because it was so different from anything else I ever saw in the hobby, but I couldn't sell it, and I couldn't even give it away. Since I lost it, it is probably gone forever. If I have a favorite Acro, I can always buy another frag if I lose it.

I recently picked up a Koji Wada from Unique corals, and although it is tiny, I am very excited. I actually miss having huge soft corals that dominated my tank before I could afford lights that could grow Acropora. Except tanks like that end up 2 colors (green and tan). I am hoping once it grows out I will be able to sell frags and see it all over Ohio, but I won't be surprised if it ends up being another rare gem that only I care about.

Porites, Montipora, Turbinaria, mushrooms (other than bounce and jawbreaker) all have some interesting varieties that are cheap, hardy, and I don't see much.
I like unappealing corals because I want my tank to look natural and not look like a bunch of candy. Wild reefs have diverse corals which is what I want. Thanks for the suggestions. Also I have a knobby brown gorgonian that I can frag. If you live in Florida I can trade it for some cheap zoas or something

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like unappealing corals because I want my tank to look natural and not look like a bunch of candy. Wild reefs have diverse corals which is what I want. Thanks for the suggestions. Also I have a knobby brown gorgonian that I can frag. If you live in Florida I can trade it for some cheap zoas or something

so do you want rare coral or ugly coral?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back