Species Spotlight: Pseudocheilinops ataenia – The Pink-Streaked Wrasse

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read. Good information, and a fish I will consider when my Six-line departs.
Thanks for the spotlight

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for over 2 years before breaking down the tank. Very peaceful and they keep to themselves. They are always watching you and eventually come out quite a bit. Mine was a very aggressive eater and would take to just about anything I threw in the tank. She started off in a 25g cube then moved her over to a 65g. Mine got to be about 2-2.5" and was a wonderful fish. Not as colorful as a six line but the trade off was in it not being aggressive.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bristle worm explosion here recently... as in probably over a 100 worms free swimming and on the glass once lights out. I was bout to just go 6-line but this looks like an attractive alternative.
Yep - I heard 6 lines can be aggressive and should consider a 4 line... but this fish looks like a much nicer alternative and I love the coloring on the pelvic fins - they really stand out in other pics I have seen. Thanks so much for the great article.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for one of these wrasses for several weeks now. Anyone know where I can find one to purchase online?

I have been following a few places now. There were some at the end of 2017, but I have not seen any for a bit. I only discovered them around that time, so I am not sure if there would be anything seasonal to their availability.

Great write up @nautical_nathaniel!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following a few places now. There were some at the end of 2017, but I have not seen any for a bit. I only discovered them around that time, so I am not sure if there would be anything seasonal to their availability.

Great write up @nautical_nathaniel!

Nothing seasonal about their availability. It's just whether the supply chain gets them.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with quality marine about these as I plan on getting one.

They told me there is a big demand for these in Europe, and that's where most of them end up.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pink Streaked is my most recommended wrasse for those who have smaller tanks and want to try out a wrasse. I actually recommend it more than the Possums because the Pink Streaked tend to be more outgoing. Pictures don't do it justice.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article.
Do you think they prey smaller nudibranches aswell?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article.
Do you think they prey smaller nudibranches aswell?

Likely, I believe that's who got my berghias. I was able to get them into the tank and established, but I believe eventually the pink streakes stumbled upon them,

The Pink Streaked is my most recommended wrasse for those who have smaller tanks and want to try out a wrasse. I actually recommend it more than the Possums because the Pink Streaked tend to be more outgoing. Pictures don't do it justice.

I believe you stole my line(lol); that's what I always say and I have kept both. The tanaka's possum is a great little wrasse also; though they are more cryptic, it's part of their charm. It is hard to get a good pic of these guys, although the pics in this spotlight are quite good. Mine was very vibrant with those bright bug eyes, a brilliant blue on the fins and emerald accents on the tail

IMG_20150419_193935.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Nathaniel. I'm looking for small colorful & mellow fish . I'm about to see how much & I do see they are not around much for sale .

Cool little fish too bad they are not common in our LFS's

Last edited:

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got notified that LA has one in stock 1.5hrs ago. Looks like it’s still available as of now.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA66CA4E-027E-42B1-BA73-A6E96235E3D8.jpeg

Received her this week after a full 24 hour delivery delay. Monitoring closely. She slept in the cave with some Cleaner Shrimp the first night and came out a little more the next day.

BTW, @nautical_nathaniel, Sauron was a fantastic name, RIP

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Likely, I believe that's who got my berghias. I was able to get them into the tank and established, but I believe eventually the pink streakes stumbled upon them,

I believe you stole my line(lol); that's what I always say and I have kept both. The tanaka's possum is a great little wrasse also; though they are more cryptic, it's part of their charm. It is hard to get a good pic of these guys, although the pics in this spotlight are quite good. Mine was very vibrant with those bright bug eyes, a brilliant blue on the fins and emerald accents on the tail

IMG_20150419_193935.jpg
You just answered what I was wondering. Thanks!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to find these little guys. I was looking for a while online and had a couple LFS looking for me as well but I pretty much gave up. I really would want a trio rather than just one so seems like chances of finding more than one at a time is slim.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BPF42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on your article! I was just about to give up on the idea of including a Wrasse in the reef tank I am starting with easy going fish, but you have changed my mind. The Pink-Streaked Wrasse seems like a good choice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back