Spectracide dosing + chaeto... am I just doing 2 things that cancel each other out?

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying KNO3 dosing (Spectracide stump remover) since my SPS colors are pale and my Nitrates were consistently 0 before dosing. I've only been doing it a few days, but my tank seems to consume about 2.5ppm/day.

I have chaeto growing in the sump. Is the chaeto likely what's using most of the nitrates... i.e., am I just doing 2 things that cancel each other out? I'm nervous to remove the chaeto because I have had tanks in the past with major algae problems, and there is little to no algae in my DT now, which I attribute to the chaeto.

I have a very very light bioload, feed every other day, and do not run a skimmer.

Thoughts on this?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you to an extent.
As an experiment I would actually continue. IMO , if you have fish, feed them healthfully and don't skimp just over concerns for coral.

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you to an extent.
As an experiment I would actually continue. IMO , if you have fish, feed them healthfully and don't skimp just over concerns for coral.
Is every other day not enough for two clownfish? I was under the impression that was enough, but I have also heard so many different things (from people who feed every 3rd day to people who feed 5 times a day. I know it depends on the fish you keep, but I only have a pair of clowns).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is every other day not enough for two clownfish? I was under the impression that was enough, but I have also heard so many different things (from people who feed every 3rd day to people who feed 5 times a day. I know it depends on the fish you keep, but I only have a pair of clowns).
I am by no means a fish expert. But as I've studied, a fine ah eats constantly in the wild and has a diverse diet. Yes there are times of feast and famine and the animal has developed mechanisms to cope with that. But I feed daily, and have a very diverse diet. So like dogs and cats, they may survive and do well not eating daily like in the wild, I feed small amounts of healthy foods. I figure , it's also feeding my corals.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, the spectracide is just a supplement to maintain control. You don't have much control over chaeto. Doing both gives you a brake and an accelerator.

Also remember chaeto absorbs phosphates also. I think phosphates are generally a bigger problem than nitrates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back