Spectrum of manufacturers new LED.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI @Dana Riddle I have recently recieved a Spectrum graph from a manufacturer of a new Reef LED. I am a little confused as they seems to be a large number of separate peaks. Is this s sign of bad blending as all other Reef LED spectrum graphs seem to have less separation between peaks. Thanks

REEF PULSAR.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI @Dana Riddle I have recently recieved a Spectrum graph from a manufacturer of a new Reef LED. I am a little confused as they seems to be a large number of separate peaks. Is this s sign of bad blending as all other Reef LED spectrum graphs seem to have less separation between peaks. Thanks

REEF PULSAR.jpg
Blending (or lack thereof) could cause those multiple peaks, but it could also be due to the number of LEDs with distinct spectral qualities causing intense peaks. Nothing to be overly concerned about, IMO.

Upvote 0

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It means they are being honest. Spectral graphs are normally 'spikey' but in most cases they just blend the peaks in Excel. Spectrometers also typically interpolate data to some extent artificially smoothing the peaks and valleys due to their limited resolution.

Really expensive spectrometers show more detail because they have higher resolution DACs.

LEDs can't blend colors they don't generate. If you have a 400nm LED and a 450nm LED you can diffuse them all you wont. There will be no 425nm light.

And, I will say it again. This 400-450 violet obsession is industry contrived hogwash that has nothing to do with growing coral.

Upvote 0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means they are being honest. Spectral graphs are normally 'spikey' but in most cases they just blend the peaks in Excel. Spectrometers also typically interpolate data to some extent artificially smoothing the peaks and valleys due to their limited resolution.

Really expensive spectrometers show more detail because they have higher resolution DACs.

LEDs can't blend colors they don't generate. If you have a 400nm LED and a 450nm LED you can diffuse them all you wont. There will be no 425nm light.

And, I will say it again. This 400-450 violet obsession is industry contrived hogwash that has nothing to do with growing coral.

Actually LED's "spread" more than you think.
Way more than say the pure Mercury emission lines.

Green LED's not only are horribly inefficient their nm spread is wide..

Don't make me find really precise 1/4 nm by 1/4 nm charts of monochromatic leds to prove this please..
CHART

You have about 15nm effective wavelength range from peak (spread around .4).
Some spread more than others by nm and manuf.

Check the FWHM measurements..

Upvote 0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you care to defend your position on violet light /coral growth being 'hogwash'?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the figure of 7600 on the top of the Y axis represent? Also there seems to be a lot of light below 400nm - 375nm is this useful to corals at that wavelength or just a waste. I can also add this light has a $800+ price tag for something designed for a 60 cm aquarium seems a bit much. 164W.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally refer to this diagram for useful coral spectrum. The spectrum of the light I mentioned above seems to be a little all over the place. They seem to be saying how great this light is and comparing it to the Red Sea Reef LED 620. What are your thoughts on the spec of this light considering the price bracket.

Attachments

• CHLOROPHYLL SPECTRUM.jpg
    CHLOROPHYLL SPECTRUM.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blasterman is correct that LEDs won't blend when observed with a spectrometer.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back