Spheromatid or Cirolanid isopods?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised to find a couple of these guys stuck to my Intank media basket when cleaning up the back of my IM Nuvo 10g with TBS live rock/sand yesterday. One was pretty dead and the other 9 legs out the door, but still alive enough to react a bit to a poke from my pipette tip.

I'm almost sure that these are spheromatids or something other than the infamous cirolanids, because 1) I've never seen them parasitizing my tailspot blenny or exquisite firefish, and 2) the not-quite-dead-yet isopods kind of curled a bit when I poke it (but certainly not the extent of a roly poly, just curved inwards a bit).

Just thought I'd check with the resident hitchhiker experts. It is an office tank, so I'm not around at night to see what comes out to play. Maybe @ying yang ?

IMG_20220906_151551608.jpg

IMG_20220906_151616630.jpg

Dead one:
IMG_20220906_151600853.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and hello,far from expert,but my opinion would be a spheromatid isopod rather than a ciroland parasitic isopod,as it says in the article from @Lionfish above,one of charastics is the eyes and yours seem further apart than the ciroland and if look at above poster how there's big dark eyes closer together than yours.
Not sure if because off blurry picture but can almost just about make out in your second picture the rear of the isopod and looks like a male spheromatid according to below article with their images off male/female.
Have a read off lionfish article here on r2r and below article as you can always see best in person but my guess would be a spheromatid like you think also,but hopefully tagged lionfish correct so they can jump in ( got feeling cant tag them if remember correctly though unfortunately .)
But if anyone does get a ciroland,I read that they can't be starved out by removing all fish as they can just rummage around tank eating other things ,so literally got to remove them by other means,even read off using a " bait " fish to let it grab onto fish then catch fish to remove ciroland isopod but that be super stressful for fish in catching it and removing countless isopods pfft

Ok did tag lionfish ^_^

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back