Spike in tank after water change

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help . Just Saturday I did my routine water change, all water parameters were right after water change . Come Monday I test my water ammonia is 0.25, Nitrate was 10 now it’s 40 . Nitrite was 0 now it almost .25. PH was 8.2 now 8.0 should I do an emergency water change? Or what

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False scare from api

Not a real event

You didn't have any ammonia issues, upwelling of common organics does this with this kit

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to ever test ammonia in a display. Post a full tank picture I'll show you why ammonia stays just fine in reef displays

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine low surface area setups can have ammonia control issues, displays won't have that issue=no need to test especially with the #1 kit most likely to misread

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your tank, we use tank pics to decode cycles not test readings from non digital kits (the pics show degree of surface area in use factored alongside your stated tank age levels + feed and dosing)

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect api and similar kits to misread and cause you false ammonia concern when:

changing water

moving rocks

feeding the tank

adding a fish

removing a fish

moving things between tanks

*none of those events require ammonia testing thankfully, the parameter simply handles itself nobody needs to test for ammonia in a display. We cycle dry rock systems using # of days underwater in place of testing nowadays, in certain threads.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expect api and similar kits to misread and cause you false ammonia concern when:

changing water

moving rocks

feeding the tank

adding a fish

removing a fish

*none of those events require ammonia testing thankfully, the parameter simply handles itself nobody needs to test for ammonia in a display. We cycle dry rock systems using # of days underwater in place of testing nowadays, in certain threads.

changing water

moving rocks

feeding the tank

adding a fish

removing a fish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid! I got your chat, glad to help. That’s so much cycled rock you simply don’t need to test for ammonia using any meter ever again on it, you’re done cycling.
it works like this:

have you ever seen your LFS, or any peer on any reef board run an oxygen test on their tank? I’ve been online in reef forums 21 yrs straight and only seen it once, in a focused chemistry forum study here.

nobody tests for oxygen, it’s a gimme

it works itself out fine in reefing

ammonia in a display is just like that, for the reasons stated prior.

simply stop testing for ammonia permanently. It cannot rise all of a sudden, to kill your fish. Old cycling science thought it could, but we’ve advanced, it can’t.

if you continue to test for ammonia on this tank, expect fear, dread and doubt at each interval.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one sole thing you should worry about: how to prevent fish disease loss via fallow and quarantine / observational quarantine approaches. If those have been skipped = u should worry.

to get all info on those concepts, do a ten day focused self study reading all stickies in the disease forum.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onlymixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid! I got your chat, glad to help. That’s so much cycled rock you simply don’t need to test for ammonia using any meter ever again on it, you’re done cycling.
it works like this:

have you ever seen your LFS, or any peer on any reef board run an oxygen test on their tank? I’ve been online in reef forums 21 yrs straight and only seen it once, in a focused chemistry forum study here.

nobody tests for oxygen, it’s a gimme

it works itself out fine in reefing

ammonia in a display is just like that, for the reasons stated prior.

simply stop testing for ammonia permanently. It cannot rise all of a sudden, to kill your fish. Old cycling science thought it could, but we’ve advanced, it can’t.

if you continue to test for ammonia on this tank, expect fear, dread and doubt at each interval.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back