Spinal injury?

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After searching through the list of fish diseases this is the closest thing I can find to my gold rims symptoms.

Screenshot_20220117-211230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• 20220117_173238.mp4
    22.8 MB
  • 20220117_173226.mp4
    20.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After searching through the list of fish diseases this is the closest thing I can find to my gold rims symptoms.

Screenshot_20220117-211230_Samsung Internet.jpg

That could be. The cloudy right eye and right pectoral fin indicate possible mechanical trauma. However, the rapid breathing may not coincide with that. If the fish is breathing fast due to struggling to swim upright, that makes sense, but it could also be breathing fast due to a systemic infection.

If the fish is in a tank that you can do this - treating with erythromycin might help. Keeping the tank lights dim may help it from struggling so much. then, it will take time to heal....but not all fish can heal from this issue.

Jay

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be. The cloudy right eye and right pectoral fin indicate possible mechanical trauma. However, the rapid breathing may not coincide with that. If the fish is breathing fast due to struggling to swim upright, that makes sense, but it could also be breathing fast due to a systemic infection.

If the fish is in a tank that you can do this - treating with erythromycin might help. Keeping the tank lights dim may help it from struggling so much. then, it will take time to heal....but not all fish can heal from this issue.

Jay
Jay I have another thread started on this gold rim. He was doing great. He was eating and nice and healthy. I had him in a 90 gallon QT tank that developed a bad case of cyanobacteria. I believe the eye issue came from laying on his side in that tank. Can cyano migrate to the spine? This behavior came on fast and all of a sudden. He has been through 30 days of copper and 3 prazipro treatments. He was in QT with a orange shoulder and although they looked to be getting along a fight may have happened between the two but I can’t be sure of that. I was worried he had a prazi resist fluke so I gave him a Formalin bath then transferred him to a 20 long that I have set up for a long time. I moved him out of the cyano tank. I am dosing him with kanaplex now. The Formalin bath may have been the wrong treatment. I haven't seen any evidence of flukes after the three prazipro treatments and that was about two months ago. All other fish are doing fine.

OP
OP
Daveb300

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thread 'Gold rim dying with no explanation' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gold-rim-dying-with-no-explanation.884887/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back