Spinal or swim bladder? video attached

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post this with a heavy heart as I’m pretty sure my rhomboid wrasse has a spinal injury but not 100% sure. Maybe swim bladder? Please help me ID.

Have had for a few months. Was perfectly fine then from one day to the next started swimming erratically. Still eating tho. All other fish, inverts, corals are fine.

@Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post this with a heavy heart as I’m pretty sure my rhomboid wrasse has a spinal injury but not 100% sure. Maybe swim bladder? Please help me ID.

Have had for a few months. Was perfectly fine then from one day to the next started swimming erratically. Still eating tho. All other fish, inverts, corals are fine.

@Jay Hemdal

Darn, another case of this syndrome, 3 or 4 just this week! Symptoms are always the same - fish spins and swims weird but still tries to eat. It isn’t swim bladder. People say it is from spinal injury, but I never see smacked snouts. I think it is a neurological disease, viral or bacterial. I’ve not heard of any treatment for this, and the mortality rate is very high, sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, another case of this syndrome, 3 or 4 just this week! Symptoms are always the same - fish spins and swims weird but still tries to eat. It isn’t swim bladder. People say it is from spinal injury, but I never see smacked snouts. I think it is a neurological disease, viral or bacterial. I’ve not heard of any treatment for this, and the mortality rate is very high, sorry.
Jay
Thank you for the reply, Jay. From my understanding euthanasia might be the most decent recourse at this point....I just want to make sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, Jay. From my understanding euthanasia might be the most decent recourse at this point....I just want to make sure.
I would give it some more time, as long as it is still eating. These fish with this malady don't seem to be suffering, and if I'm wrong with the diagnosis, it could pull through.

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back