Spiral Things on Aquarium Glass?

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these white spiral things that just started appearing on my tank glass. I think I first saw them a couple of days ago, but I did not think anything of it, until I looked closer and noticed they are spiral, maybe like worms or something. They do not move though, they just sit there like they are cemented to the glass.

I know I have some beneficial bristle worms in my tank, not the harmful fire worms, but the white / pink ones that help eat detritus and excess food in the tank. The adult ones in my tank are very small, the largest one I have seen is smaller than half an inch probably. Could these possibly be bristle worm larvae? Or is it something else? All thoughts and predictions are appreciated.

IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3780.JPG IMG_3779.JPG IMG_3778.JPG

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re snails! If you look super closely, they have small white fans coming from them. Super cool!

I call them snails, but they are technically worms. Kind of like feather dusters.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirorbid Worms

Thank you for the identification. Do you know any information about them? Are they harmful?
They’re snails! If you look super closely, they have small white fans coming from them. Super cool!

I call them snails, but they are technically worms. Kind of like feather dusters.

Thank you. Did they come from my feather dusters or no? And do you know any information about them?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep spirorbid worms, they are not harmful just a little bit of an eyesore. I scrap them off of my side and front panels of glass and leave the ones on my back glass alone.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep spirorbid worms, they are not harmful just a little bit of an eyesore. I scrap them off of my side and front panels of glass and leave the ones on my back glass alone.

When you scrape them off, do they fall to the sandbed, or do you remove them entirely from the tank? If you leave them in, do they burrow themselves into the sand, or stay on the sand?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you scrape them off, do they fall to the sandbed, or do you remove them entirely from the tank? If you leave them in, do they burrow themselves into the sand, or stay on the sand?
I just scrap them off with the blade on my magnetic algea scraper and I don't do anything to remove them. It won't hurt anything to let them fall to the sand bed.
Honestly I never though about what happens to them when the fall.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just scrap them off with the blade on my magnetic algea scraper and I don't do anything to remove them. It won't hurt anything to let them fall to the sand bed.
Honestly I never though about what happens to them when the fall.

Ok, noted. May have to do try this if they get too out of hand.

I have about a million of those in my sump tanks. No harm. Like mention, might be an eye sore to some, but definitely not harmful

Ok, thank you. At least they are no harm. If they were, we would have some problems, lol. And honestly, I don't really mind the look of them, but maybe I don't have enough of them yet, lol.

Sorry. My bad. I sneezed. I’ll clean it up next time before you see it.

lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back