Sponge confirmation

AthensReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have two areas in question. The first picture is what looks similar to others I’ve seen posted on here confirming a white sponge. However, I’ve read they prefer dark areas and this is in direct light in my sand bed.
The second pic is located in the back sump area in mostly dark area. About 5” diameter and appears soft. Not structured like the other area.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
97DC1779-85CF-45F0-9A7E-CDC52D6E8CCB.jpeg

49F39DBB-A68F-4CD9-A936-02DC076879B7.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on those rather blurry photos, they could be sponges. Most sponges will not start in the sand, but it looks like what you called sand is very course sand or fine gravel.

There are thousands of different kinds of sponges. Some don't like light at all and a couple of these do grow in aquariums. Many sponges love bright light, a very few are even photosynthetic. But most, not all, but most light loving sponges have a VERY difficult time surviving in aquariums. Even aquariums that some set up just to grow sponges.

I'd love to see better photos of yours and I'd try to help more. BTW, most sponges are harmless in an aquarium. When snorkeling in the Florida Keys I see sponges that have colonies of zoas growing on/in them! Below is a purple sponge covered with green zoas.

P6190325 R1 zoas close up.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back