Sponge growing on acan

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a green sponge growing on my acan. The acan usually looks better than this but it deflates itself (much more than my other acan) before lights out...I assume this is normal. Anyway, I suppose it would benefit the coral to not have a sponge growing between the heads. How should I go about removing the sponge? Manual removal or use a coral dip?

20220127_204142.jpg

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another one that looks like a tunicate. They're everywhere. It should be harmless. I'd leave it alone.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id say pull anything thats not coral and skeleton, but that would go for sure it already looks like that acan has changed its growth pattern around it. If the acan liked it it would grow over top of it.
Yep it has new heads all the way around except for that spot. Good point

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, it looks like a tunicate. Not a sponge. If it were a sponge growing on a coral i would remove it. Tunicates are not usually going to grow out of control like a sponge can and to the best of my knowledge they do not release toxins. I've had them in one of my older systems and they lived peacefully with my corals and added some nice color to the tank to boot. Mine were orange.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again, it looks like a tunicate. Not a sponge. If it were a sponge growing on a coral i would remove it. Tunicates are not usually going to grow out of control like a sponge can and to the best of my knowledge they do not release toxins. I've had them in one of my older systems and they lived peacefully with my corals and added some nice color to the tank to boot. Mine were orange.
Tunicate. Got it. I'll take that into consideration as I haven't done anything yet. It is pretty.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunicate. Got it. I'll take that into consideration as I haven't done anything yet. It is pretty.
Still really doubting the tunicate identification (though I cannot blame you, sponges and tunicates can be quite hard to tell apart sometimes); the bright yellow coloration generally seems to be more characteristic of sponges and OP's "creature" seems to have pores on its sides. To be sure, though, you could try and gently touch the "creature" (a sponge would not react and I am pretty sure that a tunicate would attempt to retract).

Some near-identical yellow sponges:
1643345419916.png
1643345435844.png

1643345595504.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There's a green sponge growing on my acan. The acan usually looks better than this but it deflates itself (much more than my other acan) before lights out...I assume this is normal. Anyway, I suppose it would benefit the coral to not have a sponge growing between the heads. How should I go about removing the sponge? Manual removal or use a coral dip?

20220127_204142.jpg
This is a tunicate. You will have to make the call on this one. It’s far enough from the acan But it is likely stealing food from the acan
Or you can keep an eye on it for growth
To stop it, using a syringe, inject vinegar into the tunicate and it will be done

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look harmful but if you want to remove it it should be as simple as pulling with tweezers. Alternatively you can take the coral out of water for a few minutes and if it's a sponge it will disintegrate once air is trapped in it.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a tunicate. You will have to make the call on this one. It’s far enough from the acan But it is likely stealing food from the acan
Or you can keep an eye on it for growth
To stop it, using a syringe, inject vinegar into the tunicate and it will be done
Good to know! I'll try to let the little guy live until he starts causing problems

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn't look harmful but if you want to remove it it should be as simple as pulling with tweezers. Alternatively you can take the coral out of water for a few minutes and if it's a sponge it will disintegrate once air is trapped in it.
Thank you. Unfortunately I'll have to disagree with your username! Haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good to know! I'll try to let the little guy live until he starts causing problems
Do not pull with tweezers as it can release toxins and air will not have effect on it. Air for sponge yes, this is a sea squirt in essence. They have water filled sacs with a siphon

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back