Sponge Id?

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in person i do not see any holes at all either, which is what confuses me. I don't think i am able to take better pictures than the ones in the first post, it's small and i'd rather not expose it to air
wait it to grow bigger, or to get more of it, then take one out and investigate more probably. That I'll say about it :)

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue with yellow fluorescence ? I was think it's white/yellow all the time with the dark-blackish strains inside it
Please take a shot with clear white only, Please I'd love to see it.
I don't member (I reread all again) you ever say it's hairy. Which bring me to the next point, and it is the @tripdad guess
Every day you can find corals or move the coral or the creature, but definitely I'm not going to kill it, if isn't too much invasive I'll keep it under control, only if it;s really bad will take action against.

Can be tunicate yes, can't see it that way from the photos. But defo it look lovely.

No it's not hairy, looks smooth all around except for small tissue extensions where it attaches to the substrate.

As for the clear white shot you are probably right, more whitish gray background than baby blue, but when i just turned off all channels besides white on my ai prime i almost got a heart attack with how yellow my water is, guess that picture has to wait lol.

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googling through tunicates, it looks very vaguely like Botrylloides crystallinus, but of the like 4 pictures of that that google finds, even the closest one to what i have has openings, and the yellow speckles on mine are round yellow dots, not really the typical star shaped botrylloides pattern

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking colonial tunicate.

A063F9BB-B40D-4C4B-8C6F-D3ECA7EDB153.jpeg

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you see there they are many SPs, so..., the main is to catch at least which genus is the creature, and what's known about it, after is it harmless or not etc...

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i'm thinking tunicate of some kind too now, but maybe not didemnum. They are definitely always ball shaped and their excurrent siphons, if that is what i saw at some point, are tiny. Ritterella maybe from looking at pictures, but not sure.

Mine are alive and kicking, currently stable at 3 of them, all growing i think, just have to fight cyano from overgrowing them now and then.

For some reason this animal is going around locally, theres one slightly differently colored version for sale now and then from a somewhat local farmer, several reefers reported seeing them and i just found a piece of life rock at a local lfs with dozens:

1607507130227.png

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While browsing WWM i actually just got an ID as positive as it is going to get. "yellow clustered bead ascidian", some kind of Eudistoma

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see the update mate.
Now if I get it properly, and you match it with sea squirts/ascidians of some cynd, then you can shade them (that to protect them from the cyanobacteria, the sea squirts are happily growing on dark places and usually they don't need light over them.
So, in the future if you give us another update will be good for us/me ;) And will make me more happy to see your growth there ;)

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how their location was described on the picture ID i found:

"on boulders and larger rocks, usually near the base and under overhangs", incidentally, that exactly describes the location on the liferock they grew on in the tank they came from.

Not sure the cyano is particular to them, i had lasting problems with a cyano mat forming over the entire area their plug was sitting in on the sand. I put them higher up away from the sand now. I also think they have problems with bigger particles, they might clog their pores, if i squirt a jet of water at them a bunch of detritus comes off that was attached.

Current pic under white light, they got a bit pale, probably due to said cyano.

1607524621840.png

Under blues:

1607524946046.png

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back