sponge id?

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been watching this sponge get bigger and bigger, IDK if it's good or bad but by the looks of it, it'll take that rock over. I know the pic isn't the best color wise, but I wanted to emphasize on the structure of the sponge itself. It appears to be a lime-ish light green color.
sponge.jpg

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience there isn't bad sponges. it could take over the rock , exposing them to air, scraping, brushing or even placing glue on them should work.
For id closest guess would be clathrina, however the shape seems a bit off.
edit: it looks like colonial tunicates, same recommendations mentioned above apply.

Last edited:

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been watching this sponge get bigger and bigger, IDK if it's good or bad but by the looks of it, it'll take that rock over. I know the pic isn't the best color wise, but I wanted to emphasize on the structure of the sponge itself. It appears to be a lime-ish light green color.
sponge.jpg
I had these and was told by many here it was colonial tunicates. Looks spongy to me. Lol

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in the tank parameters and what you feed in general, have been trying to keep this type of tunicates for a wile.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in the tank parameters and what you feed in general, have been trying to keep this type of tunicates for a while.
You can come and take mine lol.

Parameters.
Sal - 1.025
KH - 9
CAL - 540
NO3 - 5
PO4 - 0.25
NH3 - 0

Diet.
Hikari - Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

Light.
AI Prime 16HD
AI Signature - Karen Vazquez Downloaded Map.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can come and take mine lol.

Parameters.
Sal - 1.025
KH - 9
CAL - 540
NO3 - 5
PO4 - 0.25
NH3 - 0

Diet.
Hikari - Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

Light.
AI Prime 16HD
AI Signature - Karen Vazquez Downloaded Map.
I would if you weren’t on the other side of the ocean :) I am serious they are really hard to keep not long was talking to someone that works at the university and he was telling me how they struggle to keep them alive also. Saved your parameters to add to my notes thank you.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if you weren’t on the other side of the ocean :) I am serious they are really hard to keep not long was talking to someone that works at the university and he was telling me how they struggle to keep them alive also. Saved your parameters to add to my notes thank you.
I'm a total novice at this, this is my very 1st saltwater tank. Learning as I go.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice specimens you've got there! Not something that everyone would be interested in (honestly, I think most people just don't know they exist, how nice they can look, or how to care for them), but there are a few reefers on the board here (like sixty_reefer) who might be. Tidal Gardens has some similar tunicates that they at least used to sell which can give some ideas of how nice they can look, but there's not currently much demand for them:
We still have a few strains of Tunicates growing in the greenhouse. They are beautiful, but not that many people were interested in them. We can have our guys start to get some mounted-on plugs again.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice specimens you've got there! Not something that everyone would be interested in (honestly, I think most people just don't know they exist, how nice they can look, or how to care for them), but there are a few reefers on the board here (like sixty_reefer) who might be. Tidal Gardens has some similar tunicates that they at least used to sell which can give some ideas of how nice they can look, but there's not currently much demand for them:
I've seen blue ones I'd buy .

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely interesting to say the least, it came in as a hitch hiker, I never noticed it, but then all of a sudden it exploded. I don't mind it, I just brush it off if it gets to big.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back