Sponge taking over

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Sorry if this is not the correct section. I thought perhaps this is the most fitting place to get help.

I have a sponge type of thing(not even sure if its exactly a sponge) taking over my rockwork. Can someone please help me identify this and how I can battle it?

Removing manually doesnt work as it leaves pieces that just grow back.

Thanks

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question is what kind of issue is the sponge causing that it needs to be removed? How big is your tank? Sponges are a sign of a healthy tank and provide a natural source of water filtration.

OP
OP
wackyreefer

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a redsea reefer 170. It has already suffocated a colony of zoa, which I removed, it then continued to spread everywhere in my tank over the rockwork.

I am just surprised I don't see this in other tanks?

Callok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges can't tolerate air. If their tubules loose the water in them when exposed to air, it will often not refill and the sponge will die off. Thus if you can bring the rock out of the tank for a few minutes, the Zoas should be fine.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep scrubbing them off.

Next question is how old is the tank.
Some get Dustin blooms because if silicates.
You may be getting sponges for the same reason.
Also if your carbon dosing or using Aminos that may also be helping them grow.

Not 100% on this as science is not either, but links stars are rumored to feed on sponges or the bacteria associated with large growths of them.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep scrubbing them off.

Next question is how old is the tank.
Some get Dustin blooms because if silicates.
You may be getting sponges for the same reason.
Also if your carbon dosing or using Aminos that may also be helping them grow.

Not 100% on this as science is not either, but links stars are rumored to feed on sponges or the bacteria associated with large growths of them.
This would explain my sitiuation. Been dosing vodka for the last couple months and have not ran gfo in a while. I also use a silicate based sand. But my tank has never looked better. The sponges have not caused any issue for me yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would explain my sitiuation. Been dosing vodka for the last couple months and have not ran gfo in a while. I also use a silicate based sand. But my tank has never looked better. The sponges have not caused any issue for me yet.
Sponges like bacteria.
A fwiw. It's silica. Not silicate.
But other grains in the mix may contain silicates.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another shot

File_000.jpeg

079d3cd172c7df71b32cb2dd1f656e69.jpg

I was worried about these things but after some research I concluded they aren't bad. This one grew with a host of them under one rock, and have begun to expand up the sides of it. I also have a finger coral on this same rock. Given the filtration factor of sponges I am cautiously hopeful this will leave the finger alone and do its job. It is such a stunning color, I really don't want to get rid of it

Heather

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges can't tolerate air. If their tubules loose the water in them when exposed to air, it will often not refill and the sponge will die off. Thus if you can bring the rock out of the tank for a few minutes, the Zoas should be fine.

Brilliant!! Such a simple tactic for nuisance sponges

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
079d3cd172c7df71b32cb2dd1f656e69.jpg

I was worried about these things but after some research I concluded they aren't bad. This one grew with a host of them under one rock, and have begun to expand up the sides of it. I also have a finger coral on this same rock. Given the filtration factor of sponges I am cautiously hopeful this will leave the finger alone and do its job. It is such a stunning color, I really don't want to get rid of it

Heather

BTW. Can anyone tell me what these white curls are? My lfs was vague. They come and go here and there so I don't think they are good but scrubbing them off is not an option. Any thoughts? Answers are better, but I'll take all the info this wonderful group of minds will share

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ei
Sponges like bacteria.
A fwiw. It's silica. Not silicate.
But other grains in the mix may contain silicates.
thanks for the info. I new the risk before I used the sand. My tank looks great so I am good. Just thought it was interesting that some one posted a problem.m about sponges just as I noticed them in my tank

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is impacting corals air exposure could be a good strategy to remove them. Some angels also like sponges but then you will also carry the risk that corals become a meal as well. If you are using air exposure I would also try to remove as much of the sponge as you can so it does not rot in the tank.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. Can anyone tell me what these white curls are? My lfs was vague. They come and go here and there so I don't think they are good but scrubbing them off is not an option. Any thoughts? Answers are better, but I'll take all the info this wonderful group of minds will share

The small white swirls are a form of tube worm like a feather duster. They are just really small. If they grow on the glass you might be able to see the worm with a magnify glass. Normally they are not harmful and their numbers will expand if there is an ample food supply. That is a great looking yellow sponge.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the food supply and what would be a natural predator to keep their numbers in check?

OP
OP
wackyreefer

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on a very old thread because I have received a few messages of people experiencing the same issue.
I unfortunately never managed to control this sponge. I ended up shutting the tank that had this down and have since restarted with fresh dead macro in a bid to avoid such pests.

If anyone has any more info on this pest and how to control it please post here as it could help a few people... ;Bookworm

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back