Sponge?

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this stringy clear sponge like creature growing off the base of my Kenya tree and has now over ran my whole tank, any ideas on what this is?

looks similar to that of a sponge, or like roots from the Kenya lol

845C8C91-0B8A-4A94-B77D-D1907E191B57.jpeg

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge. I have had a few of those too recently. I pulled off a large one and planted it where I could watch it for a few days and then tossed it into the sump. After a few water changes and no amino or trace dosing they diminished to normal growth. By observation I would that the corals were not fans of the same parameters that made the sponges grow fast. If I see that kind of sponge growth, now I know to do a 25% to 40% water change.

It was neither nitrates nor phosphates which continue to stay at undetectable levels. I believe it was from trying to feed my tank until I saw nitrates and phosphates. Obviously, that does not work.

OP
OP
N

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge. I have had a few of those too recently. I pulled off a large one and planted it where I could watch it for a few days and then tossed it into the sump. After a few water changes and no amino or trace dosing they diminished to normal growth. By observation I would that the corals were not fans of the same parameters that made the sponges grow fast. If I see that kind of sponge growth, now I know to do a 25% to 40% water change.

It was neither nitrates nor phosphates which continue to stay at undetectable levels. I believe it was from trying to feed my tank until I saw nitrates and phosphates. Obviously, that does not work.
That's what I thought, thank you for confirmation!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back