Sponges and glass… Not the type you’d think.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may be common knowledge but I wanted to put this out there for everyone who doesn’t know.
If you have a small tank (or a large tank and have the time), and have algae that is a pain to get off the glass. For example;
image.jpg

See, Film algae comes off really easy with a scraper but I have struggled getting this algae off with a scraper a few times. I finally pulled a move we did at the LFS, where we would take a sponge and just scrub at the glass for a good few minutes (Usually doing every single tank took 1-2 hours).
And… It worked. My SPS tank is just a 3’x16”x1’ tank so it’s a rather fast process to do the whole tank. I think doing the front and side panel of glass took 20 minutes. But it’s worth not getting annoyed because you can see the algae in the middle of the glass!
Here’s an FTS of the tank after I’ve cleaned it.
1C9ACE8C-5B82-4D42-8490-208F3EB58D05.jpeg

And the sponge I used, as you can see it’s just a regular old kitchen sponge I found lying around. The best side to do is the coarse side as it scrubs the glass the best. Just be warned it may scratch if you push too hard.
image.jpg

I hope this helped you guys that dislike the algae! If you have the time I really recommend this as it helps the tank a lot (And it also lifts off the Film algae on the glass easily).

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS sells a scrubbing pad on a pole; the more effortless the task, the more likely you are to do it! We like our armpits dry. :D

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS sells a scrubbing pad on a pole; the more effortless the task, the more likely you are to do it! We like our armpits dry. :D
The sponge I used is actually meant for hand cleaning and do come with an arm but it really didn’t make a difference. I dread to do this on my 4’ tank though… Maybe during the water change I will but that’s a big maybe.

Back