Sponges - what can I do chemically to wipe them all out

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I know you are a big fan of sponges, and so am I, and in one of my systems I dose silicates to promote their growth per your recommendation from a few years ago. But unfortunately this is not one of those threads. In my other system, I want to fully, 100%, eliminate all sponge growth. Is there any way for me to accomplish that with 100% success, while keeping the treatment 100% Reef Safe?

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sponges in my tank naturally died out after I lowered nutrient levels to kill some algae. They’re filter feeders so if you remove the food source then they die

I am already ULNS and no, they are still thriving.

Am not Randy but hydrogen peroxide usually tends to damage the sponges.

Yep I know this part = but it's a spot treatment. I need a tank-wide treatment.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They’re good addition to your tank, why you want to rid of it. Sponges usually show a good sign of healthy mature tank

What type of sponge?

Folks, please keep this on topic. I don't want thread to become an identification thread, or a "benefits of sponges" thread. I am asking how to fully get rid the tank of sponges. If you don't have the know-how, or ideas, please refrain from commenting.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are a good sign of tank maturity they usually go away. But since you still want to go on with getting rid of it they usually go away when hit with alot of light, or when there is less particulates in the water column.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sponges are a good sign of tank maturity they usually go away.

Folks, please keep this on topic. I don't want thread to become an identification thread, or a "benefits of sponges" thread. I am asking how to fully get rid the tank of sponges. If you don't have the know-how, or ideas, please refrain from commenting.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited please read it again.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe let us know what livestock is in the tank that since that might dictate sponge control options.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe let us know what livestock is in the tank that since that might dictate sponge control options.

I don't want to get into that, because what I am dealing with is going to be a controversial topic. Let's just keep it to this phrase: "I keep highest-end mushrooms in the hobby. I believe I am loosing $30,000 due to sponges, and I want them dead". Please, and I ask this respectfully, don't go troubleshooting my tank. I have personal friendships with experts in the industry, we all tried to troubleshoot what's happening, hundreds of dollars were spend on equipment + ICP tests and we all can't figure it out. I am asking for ideas of a tank-wide treatment to kill every single sponge in there. If that's not possible, I will look for other ideas.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already ULNS and no, they are still thriving.

Yep I know this part = but it's a spot treatment. I need a tank-wide treatment.
There’s two ways to use hydrogen peroxide, one is spot treatment as you mentioned and the other is by dosing it in to the water column. The most used guide is 1ml per 10 gallons of water. Probably a good thing to refresh the carbon more frequently to help catch chemicals released by the die off.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s two ways to use hydrogen peroxide, one is spot treatment as you mentioned and the other is by dosing it in to the water column. The most used guide is 1ml per 10 gallons of water. Probably a good thing to refresh the carbon more frequently to help catch chemicals released by the die off.

Yep thank you. I am aware of this also. Here's the question - does 1ML per 10g kill any all sponges? I can't find any evidence of that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sponges and air dont mix and Some sponges can contain toxins.
You can expose the rock to air for about 5 mins OR you can inject either air or vinegar via syringe into them and they will start to wither away

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back